Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian, others,
I have always had good control of being able to work the ball. Even with my wedges I can usually draw it, cut it, high and low. Several of my usual playing partners kid me about being able to do this. I can draw a 60* wedge about 7 or 8 yards and cut it about 5 or 6 with a good swing and sound mechanics. However, I never can spin a wedge as much as my partners. Are they using some throw-away to get more spin on the ball? We all are very similar in the lengths we hit clubs. This is particularly noticeable on 30 -60 yard shots. These are good players and even though they know nothing about the golfing machine, they have good mechanics ( I didn't say perfect). So my question: Why can I not increase the amount of backspin on my wedges? I know all the junk about fairway and green condition and hardness and type and condition of grooves, but when we are playing together obviously these are the same for all of us. I don't understand why I have good control of manipulating the spin to draw or cut, but I can't manipulate more spin.

Thank you,
Jim S.

looking forward to video

Thanks Brian,
I look forward to your video. As my swing has much improved since our lesson, I know that this is an area I can use some improvement. I hate to practice it a lot because I hate to practice throw away, but I guess if I develop educated hands, then throw away when needed should be part of that education.

Jim S.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Brian, would this be the "mid bounce chip" you taught me?

If so, I cannot think of a more valuable shot to add to anyone's arsenal.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Brian, would this be the "mid bounce chip" you taught me?

If so, I cannot think of a more valuable shot to add to anyone's arsenal.

That would be it!

I played golf yesterday with our great friend BIG Don, and I showed him the shot around the green and even from up to 75 yards, AND one six-iron on a Par3 into the wind.

Clinic.

He is very unimpressable, but, he WAS impressed.

Must be nice to not have winter...(I mean REAL winter)....

U don't play much eh...first round in how long?

What's the deal with this "mid bounce chip" Brian?

Status
Not open for further replies.