Spining Hip drills

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to help someone who cannot stop spinning his hips way ahead of impact causing weak fading shots. He appears to start the downswiong with his hips spinning out.

What are the best drills to comabt this tendancy.

Thanks

See the Snead video

And read Mandarin's post and see if your hips slow down.

Also, I think if we could get an explanation of left side bend (HINT, HINT) ala Monty) that might help as well.

Erik_K

New
This can be a path-related issue. I would reccommend more of a concerted effort to hit the inside of the ball. When that happens, it's hard to have too much hip rotation too early. Hip rotation is a good thing, but it must happen at the right time. Often excessive hip rotation can be coupled with the right shoulder swinging out and down early in the down swing.

Erik

Practice holding your back to the target for as long as possible on the downswing. It's nearly impossible to do if your hips take off. (Unless he has the flexabilty of Ernie Els).

Just my two cents.

sorry dont see how that would help. if anything to me, looks like it might make it worse :(

needs to learn hip slide

can't make it worse pecky, holding the heel down tends to stifle the lower pivot.......which was my point in the first place...

Besides which, I don't think the hips are this guys problem.....his real problem is his shoulders being too open at impact....i.e he has let his shoulders be influnced by his hips......if he learns to keep his shoulders back (swing more right) his hips can do what they want....

Last edited:
can't make it worse pecky, holding the heel down tends to stifle the lower pivot.......which was my point in the first place...

Besides which, I don't think the hips are this guys problem.....his real problem is his shoulders being too open at impact....i.e he has let his shoulders be influnced by his hips......if he learns to keep his shoulders back (swing more right) his hips can do what they want....

i disagre.

he probably has an open face issue and is spinning out to square the face up. not his shoulders been too open.

if someone spins out then chances are the weight is staying back. how can keeping the right foot down help that?

he needs twistaway to fix the clubface and needs to learn a flatter turn in the backswing and needs to add tilt sooner

Think twistaway with a downplane right shoulder. Hips spin open - very little sliding - causes weak thin shot with weak fade.

No, I'm saying he does the twistaway, brings the shoulder down plane but he spins the hips out at the start of the downswing

:eek:
No, I'm saying he does the twistaway, brings the shoulder down plane but he spins the hips out at the start of the downswing

he must be uber flexible because to get the right shoulder downplane you need some hip-slide to accomodate it. hmmm

do slow motion moves from the top or "start down waggles" training the feeling of sliding the hips before unwindind

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I forget which Manzella show it was but a good one is to get the student at address to impact pose. Get em all the way on that left hip feeling a little closed. Hit small shots from there feeling the arms pass the body. Works great for ex ball players who spin those hips real fast.

Burner

New
I'm trying to help someone who cannot stop spinning his hips way ahead of impact causing weak fading shots. He appears to start the downswiong with his hips spinning out.

What are the best drills to comabt this tendancy. Thanks

This cannot easily be achieved in real time as a whole new habit has to be created.

He must drill in slow mo' and practise bringing the club face down and out to the ball on plane and at the correct angle; slightly open.

Only in slow mo' will he resist the urge to kill which is, most likely, the root cause of his over cooked hip action.

Work on little shots, with his feet as close together as possible, and gradually move up scale, widen the stance and lengthen the swing, as his hip action improves.

Get him to swing easy and be surprised by the results.

rbaumgolf,

As a "simple" solution to your friends problem, try this:

Get him to hit balls while keeping his weight on the ball of his left foot, start to finish......

Let me know....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.