Staff Training on Trackman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help I am co-running a staff meeting on Monday and it is all about Trackman. After going over what everything means what things should I cover to get everyone to gain some knowledge and not fall asleep(Meeting starts at 7:30am). Think back to your early days using Trackman what would have you wished you understood right away.

Thanks,
Rob

The calculation for face angle could be closed for heel hits or open for toe hits. Look at ballflight first and work backward. If the ball goes right and the face is closed to the path that's gear effect at work. The machine isn't wrong, the interpretation needs more work.

If the face angle is >4* with a driver it probably will be in the trees left or right.

Easier to change path than face angle.

Hope this helps.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"This little machine will be the best teacher you ever had. Just listen to what it is telling you to do with that student in front of you. One of the club delivery numbers will be way off right out the gate in 95% of the lessons you will ever give."

Bet on it.

"Think of club delivery like this: The sweetspot is traveling on a arc, on a plane in the lower portion of the swing. That plane has a certain inclination, and the whole plane is aligned horizontally out in space. While the club is traveling on that arc, on that plane, on that certain inclination, the ball gets struck in a three-quarter of an inch slightly straightened portion of the arc. If that portion of arc is on the way-down toward the bottom of the arc, the resulting club path will be to the right of the horizontal alignment of the plane. If contact occurs on the portion of arc is on the way up from the bottom of the arc, the resulting club path will be to the left of the horizontal alignment of the plane. Only when the middle of the three-quarter of an inch impact interval is at the very bottom of the arc, is the club path also aligned at the same location as the horizontal alignment of the plane. The inclination of the nearly dead-straight middle of the three-quater of an inch impact interval to the ground is called the angle of attack. The directional vector of the instantaneous path portion of the three-quarter of an inch impact interval that occurs at maximum compression, is the bottom of another plane called the D-Plane—the plane the ball flies on. That plane's other vector is the clubface normal, the perpendicular to the portion of the clubface that contacts the ball. On an iron that perpendicular vector is pointing out in space as a lie angle tool attached anywhere to the clubface would. But on a club with bulge and roll, like some hybrids and nearly all woods, the clubface normal is perpendicular to the exact place on the clubface that ball contacts. Rightward toward the toe, leftward in the heel, high and low, when struck high and low on the face and all the obvious combinations. On a shot where the clubhead's center of gravity is precisely aligned to the instantaneous path and the impact point of the face, an in effect so-called sweetspot strike, the ball will travel on this D-Plane, starting about 85% toward the clubface normal vector on a shot where the two vectors are relative close together, and toward 70% toward the clubface normal when the two vectors are further apart. The ball will fly on this plane until wind or gravity take it off of it's course.

And then there is off-center strikes....." —Brian Manzella

S

SteveT

The calculation for face angle could be closed for heel hits or open for toe hits. Look at ballflight first and work backward. If the ball goes right and the face is closed to the path that's gear effect at work. The machine isn't wrong, the interpretation needs more work.

If the face angle is >4* with a driver it probably will be in the trees left or right.

Easier to change path than face angle.

Hope this helps.

This is where I'm lost on "gear effect" as it affects Jorgensen's D-plane concept.

I assume you are referring to drivers only with a deep CofG rearward location. The gear effect on smaller clubheads must be minimal and virtually non-existent on irons. That's my guess.

My understanding of gear effect is that it works with a square clubface but off-center impact. If the face is substantially open or closed at impact, gear effect is useless and may even be non-existent due to vectoring changes.

What is your understanding of gear effect for TM/FS measurements?

S

SteveT

".... On an iron that perpendicular vector is pointing out in space as a lie angle tool attached anywhere to the clubface would. But on a club with bulge and roll, like some hybrids and nearly all woods, the clubface normal is perpendicular to the exact place on the clubface that ball contacts. Rightward toward the toe, leftward in the heel, high and low, when struck high and low on the face and all the obvious combinations. ......

And then there is off-center strikes....." —Brian Manzella

Okay, but now the issue of "gear effect" on off-center strikes becomes a factor, and that's something that puzzles me since Jorgensen didn't factor that into his D-plane concept. He wrote about off-center shots, but not in the context of gear effect. Did he overlook gear effect and only with the use of TM did it emerge?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Gear effect has always been known, that's why drivers have a measured (and allowable) degree of bulge and roll on the face to help "straighten" and off center hit

This is where I'm lost on "gear effect" as it affects Jorgensen's D-plane concept.

I assume you are referring to drivers only with a deep CofG rearward location. The gear effect on smaller clubheads must be minimal and virtually non-existent on irons. That's my guess.

My understanding of gear effect is that it works with a square clubface but off-center impact. If the face is substantially open or closed at impact, gear effect is useless and may even be non-existent due to vectoring changes.

What is your understanding of gear effect for TM/FS measurements?

There can be horizontal gear effect even with a zero face angle. See ASII where Tuxen explains gear effect where the path isn't zero but the face is zero. There is some gear effect with iron shots. How much? Hopefully someone with more knowledge can answer in detail. There's a whole post by Brian on this topic and the issue of the face angle read at the center of maximum compression of the ball for off center hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.