Stiff shafts versus regular shafts... and inconsistency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted on this forum a ton over the past few years, frequently with a "wow, hitting great all of a sudden!" bs post. This is not one of those.

Regardless of how much I practice lately, I cannot seem to establish any consistency with my swing. Despite establishing a preshot routine, tirelessly practicing the same moves over and over again, I suffer from totally wild contact quality and ballflight patterns throughout the bag. I cannot hit the ball well on the course, and cannot even hit well on the driving range. I'm at a total loss and am beginning to think that if you didn't take this game up when you were 5, it's a joke to try it unless you can eat lunch on the range everyday.

I am beginning to wonder if the stiff shafts in my clubs (S300 in one set, X100 in another) are the issue ie "the club swinging me, more than me swinging the club". Is this a reasonable idea? Should I attempt going to regular shafts to see if I can regain feel?

My driver swing speed is about 105mph, 112 if I really get everything in sequence. Don't know if that helps, but I know it is frequently used as a measuring stick.

I've already hurt my back badly trying out various swing ideas and swinging too hard - had to take a hiatus from golf and don't want to do that again. Thoughts? :confused:

Thanks.

S

SteveT

It's a mental issue, not a clubshaft issue.... believe it.... :eek:

coach

New
Agree, its the Indian not the arrow. Go back to taking 9-3 swings, 50 -60 yard swing with wedge, until you get some consistent contact. Be engaged in the process taking time between shots like you do when playing, checking basic things like grip and stance.Each swing with your full attention, vary targets and trajectory.

S

SteveT

I've already hurt my back badly trying out various swing ideas and swinging too hard - had to take a hiatus from golf and don't want to do that again. Thoughts? :confused:

Thanks.

Yes, you are wise to recuperate and recover from your golfswing-induced injuries. Take as much time as possible to heal, and then: (a) sell your golf clubs, or, (b) follow advice by "coach", or, (c) seek out a qualified instructor who can objectively assess your physical handicaps that are affecting your (homemade?) golfswing, or, (d) stumble around on your own and hope for the best.

Regardless, heal fully first because you are generating a lot of kinetic energy with your 105-112 mph driver swing speed... and if you re-injure yourself, you will be in a repetitive injury life... believe it.

BTW... I like your comment about: "... a "wow, hitting great all of a sudden!" bs post. This is not one of those." You are oh so right about these overnight range ball hitting miracles that we read too often....:D

So you "can't hit the ball at all" and you're wondering if shaft flex is to blame? Ah, no, sorry, you are to blame. The first thing you need to do is take responsibility for your own impacts. Tough love, yes. But as long as we keep the door open to blaming someone or something else for our own crummy impacts, we stumble on the road to pure ball-striking.

Interesting responses. My question was aimed towards the concept of too stiff of shafts for a player interfering with feel and causing inconsistency and whether or not trying a less stiff shaft would be beneficial at this point in my golfing troubles. Not afraid of blaming the Indian here either (obviously a good player can hit the ball with whatever club... but I'm obviously not a good player... yet). Not afraid of putting in the hard work either... just trying to get there while minimizing the maddening frustration.

S

SteveT

golf is frustrating ... particularly if you are hobbled with injury. Perhaps your arm-club swing is destabilized by your injuries to your body which is the foundation for your swing. Put a hitch into your foot, ankle, knee, hip, spine, shoulder ... and you will not be able to compensate with your arms, hands, club. The problem just gets magnified into your clubhead at impact.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
To your question, I don't think shaft stiffness affects feel all that much. The smoothest shafts I have felt were DG X100's. You would be surprised at the amount of LPGA players that use them.

I remember changing clubs a few years ago, they had full cord grips. I was convinced that the heaviness in the grips was causing me to lose distance (sounds silly, I know), but it wasn't. I just had to get a feel for the new clubs.

I think you just need to get a handle on what you are trying to do with your swing and stay focused on that. The ball striking will come around. Most golfers find it and lose it all the time. The key to getting better is learning to score when you don't have it. That is when real improvement takes place. I do not like it when I feel "lost" but my attitude when I feel lost with my ball striking is how this is an opportunity to learn how to play and put up a number when I don't have nirvana like ball striking.

Mike Jacobs said the differences from too soft a flex were higher flight and more apt to go left if you gave it a decent rip. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Hmmm...

Interesting note about LPGA golfers using X100s. Thanks Jared. If the answer is just keep grinding... guess that's what I'll have to do (until, some GTE instructor makes it to Texas... hehe).

The shaft can have a big influence on your swing. Too stiff, too long, too heavy can all have negative influences on your release, timing, plane, and face angle. Any of these negative influences can lead you down a path with your swing that you really don't want to go down. When I came back from my back surgery, I had to play reg flex graphite shafts for a good 6-8 months, then a few months in stiff before I got back into my "normal" flex. It's very difficult to quantify the effects of an injury on something like shaft flex, but it's easy to see if a change can help. Either get a demo club with a softer flex, or change one of your own clubs to a softer flex. You'll find out rather quickly if shaft flex is part of your problem or not. But be warned... you may or may not like the answer. :)

Mike Jacobs said the differences from too soft a flex were higher flight and more apt to go left if you gave it a decent rip. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Hmmm...

I interpret it a different way. Lead and toe down deflection is more for softer shafts given equal swing speeds. If you are able to consistently time a stiff shaft at 100 mph you will have trouble timing a soft shaft at 100 mph because the deflections of the soft shaft are much greater. In other words, pick the shaft that you can consistently time at your clubhead speed. Everything else is bupkes

You don't have to invent the wheel everyday.

Overwhelmed with a problem break it down.

Play 9 holes for something.

All shots on the property must be played with a 5 iron.

The smoothest shafts I have felt were DG X100's. You would be surprised at the amount of LPGA players that use them.

Really. I would be curious to know one LPGA pro using shafts that stiff and heavy.

Most use lightweight steel, like the Nippon NS PRO 950GH in stiff flex. Very popular.

Lexi Thompson swings pretty aggressive. Pretty sure she has PX 5.0 stiff.

Suzann Pettersen, another strong swinger, I believe she's using Nippon Modus 3 stiff.

Michelle Wie was using DGHL S 300 stiff last time I looked.

Not trying to be argumentative, I would really like to know who's using DG X100s on the LPGA.

Really. I would be curious to know one LPGA pro using shafts that stiff and heavy.

Most use lightweight steel, like the Nippon NS PRO 950GH in stiff flex. Very popular.

Lexi Thompson swings pretty aggressive. Pretty sure she has PX 5.0 stiff.

Suzann Pettersen, another strong swinger, I believe she's using Nippon Modus 3 stiff.

Michelle Wie was using DGHL S 300 stiff last time I looked.

Not trying to be argumentative, I would really like to know who's using DG X100s on the LPGA.

This chick...

transgender-golfer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.