Super Bowl Prediction - with your smack talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cardinals defense has stepped up big time during the 3 playoff games and have stopped the number 2 and 3 rushers in the NFL in the playoffs so stopping the Pittsburg run will force Ben to throw. Although he is a good passer when he is being chased he is not a good pocket QB. Pittsburg lives by the run; if that is stopped they lose.

On the O side, if the Cardinals can establish any kind of run then Kurt (Rocco) will have a field day. Cards definitely have the best receiving corps and coupled with a formidable running attack their offense should provide enough for the win; Anquon is back at almost full strength - he is a big weapon along side Fitzpatrick

Although I acknowledge Pittsburg as a great team I don't see this great disparity between the 2 teams when it comes to some of the playoff stats:

Team Rushing

AZ - 335 Pitt - 193

Defensive Interceptions

AZ - 8 Pitt - 4

Sacks

Pitt - 7 Az - 6

Passing TDs

AZ - 8 Pitt - 2

Passing Yardage

AZ 770 Pitt 436

Best QB - AZ
Best Receivers - AZ
Best O line - AZ
Best Offense - AZ
Kicking Game - AZ
Punter - AZ
Defense - Slight (not a big) edge to Pitts

As I've said all along I'm predicting a Cardinal victory

35 - 24

Let's here what the rest of you think - I want o hear what Jim has to say so I can do the opposite

The Cardinals defense has stepped up big time during the 3 playoff games and have stopped the number 2 and 3 rushers in the NFL in the playoffs so stopping the Pittsburg run will force Ben to throw. Although he is a good passer when he is being chased he is not a good pocket QB. Pittsburg lives by the run; if that is stopped they lose.

On the O side, if the Cardinals can establish any kind of run then Kurt (Rocco) will have a field day. Cards definitely have the best receiving corps and coupled with a formidable running attack their offense should provide enough for the win; Anquon is back at almost full strength - he is a big weapon along side Fitzpatrick

Although I acknowledge Pittsburg as a great team I don't see this great disparity between the 2 teams when it comes to some of the playoff stats:

Team Rushing

AZ - 335 Pitt - 193

Defensive Interceptions

AZ - 8 Pitt - 4

Sacks

Pitt - 7 Az - 6

Passing TDs

AZ - 8 Pitt - 2

Passing Yardage

AZ 770 Pitt 436

Best QB - AZ
Best Receivers - AZ
Best O line - AZ
Best Offense - AZ
Kicking Game - AZ
Punter - AZ

35 - 24

Let's here what the rest of you think - I want o hear what Jim has to say so I can do the opposite

I knew this would happen....Stats,Stats,Stats...""But the stats say"'''Blah. Since this is a golf website lets compare Great Football Teams to Great Golfers say....TIGER WOODS YALL. Does Tiger hit it the Furthest...NOPE. Does Tiger hit it the straightest uhhh NOPE. Does Tiger lead in most stats...NOPE. But, You pick any Golfer....ANYWHERE in the Final Round of a MAJOR Championship and I'll take TIGER every single time. I'll take him not because he leads in some Statistical Categories, but because when he shows up on the first tee on that final day and looks you in the eye and HE knows and YOU know that HE is going to win...Well that is what makes champions. It is called experience, the Steelers have been there before and they act like they have. So...Ill take Tiger and the Steelers.:D

Enjoy the Game!!

Team Rushing

AZ - 335 Pitt - 193

Defensive Interceptions

AZ - 8 Pitt - 4

Sacks

Pitt - 7 Az - 6

Passing TDs

AZ - 8 Pitt - 2

Passing Yardage

AZ 770 Pitt 436

Best QB - AZ
Best Receivers - AZ
Best O line - AZ
Best Offense - AZ
Kicking Game - AZ
Punter - AZ

35 - 24

I love how your "Best" ratings have 6 offensive categories and just the one for defense. Does anyone really factor in the punting game into their Super Bowl predictions? I mean no offense at all, but you sound like a homer for Arizona and Kurt Warner.

Looking back on history, great defenses and experience make Super Bowl Champions. To say that Pittsburgh has a "slight" edge on defense is laughable. They are the number one defense in the league, and have been since about week 4. They have the league's defensive MVP. And on the other side of the ball, they have tested running backs and a patient QB.

I'm not saying it'll be a blowout for Pittsburgh, but thinking the Cardinals will win by 11 and that it's no contest is a joke.

Homer for Warner

I love how your "Best" ratings have 6 offensive categories and just the one for defense. Does anyone really factor in the punting game into their Super Bowl predictions? I mean no offense at all, but you sound like a homer for Arizona and Kurt Warner.

Looking back on history, great defenses and experience make Super Bowl Champions. To say that Pittsburgh has a "slight" edge on defense is laughable. They are the number one defense in the league, and have been since about week 4. They have the league's defensive MVP. And on the other side of the ball, they have tested running backs and a patient QB.

I'm not saying it'll be a blowout for Pittsburgh, but thinking the Cardinals will win by 11 and that it's no contest is a joke.

The stats were only provided to show Arizona will be a formidable opponent. I am a "huge" Warner fan (not particularly an Arizona homer) I'm from St Louis so when the Rams gave Warner his walking papers most of us thought he was shafted and had allot of good years left in him; He is the classiest guy in the NFL.

The Steelers definitely have the best linebacker corp in the NFL but they can be had (Tenn beat them 31-14 in a meaningful game at the end of the season).

It will be interesting to se if their former O coordinator (Wisenhunt) can take advantage of his knowledge of his former team.

St. Louis Cardinals all the way. oops, Arizona Cardinals. also from st louis and although Bidwell the owner is messed up, still root for Kurt Warner and hope he does well.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I was just loafing around espn's site and their was a forum type deal where people were actually debating HOF credentials for Kurt Warner and Hines Ward. How in the hell could anyone not think those two arent locks for the HOF? This fantasy-geek world is so stupid. They are both shoe-ins. All you have to do is open your eyes and watch.

Meh... Im hoping for an AZ win, They are the oldest team in the NFL... but whatever. Tampa is a freaking circus right now because of this, and working down town is not fun. But I get to see alot of football players walking around, and almost runing me over in their maserati's....

good times...

I predict a questionably refereed game resulting in a 24-17 victory for the Steelers.

Is this insinuating that the Steelers will win BECAUSE the referees will cheat for them??? The steelers don't need help...Warner will provide enough of that on his own.

Refs

Is this insinuating that the Steelers will win BECAUSE the referees will cheat for them??? The steelers don't need help...Warner will provide enough of that on his own.

Last time Warner was in the Super Bowl against N England the Refs allowed the patriots to mug the Rams receivers coming off the line - definitely contributed to their victory,

I don't know why you think Wartner is going to lose the game - he's the reason they are in the Super Bowl to begin with. Ben is the one you should worry about.......runs around like a madman and throws up "prayers" ......

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If the cardinals can handle the pass rush and give Warner just a wee bit of time to throw the ball, i think they'll win. Surprisingly Warner has over 100 passer rating when being blitzed but you could see in the Eagle game when they had like 2 yards of offense in the 3rd quarter it didn't happen, should be a great game.

I was just loafing around espn's site and their was a forum type deal where people were actually debating HOF credentials for Kurt Warner and Hines Ward. How in the hell could anyone not think those two arent locks for the HOF? This fantasy-geek world is so stupid. They are both shoe-ins. All you have to do is open your eyes and watch.

Curt Warner is Far from a shoe-in for the HOF even with a win this Sunday. He essentially disappeared for 5 years.

Kurt

Curt Warner is Far from a shoe-in for the HOF even with a win this Sunday. He essentially disappeared for 5 years.

Pardon my "Homerness" but HOF is usually about championships and numbers - Kurt has them both. They asked Joe Montanna if Kurt belongs in the HOF and he said definitiley.

Don't know if you caught last years (2007) numbers - He was near the top in every category and only played 12 games.

Championships: 1

Numbers:
Currently his 182 career passing TD ranks 40th of all time.
Currently, his 28,591 passing yards ranks him 38th of all time.

I love Kurt Warner but he needs to upgrade those stats then he's in. Another 2-3 high
level seasons will get him there.

Pardon my "Homerness" but HOF is usually about championships and numbers - Kurt has them both. They asked Joe Montanna if Kurt belongs in the HOF and he said definitiley.

Don't know if you caught last years (2007) numbers - He was near the top in every category and only played 12 games.

You are a homer :p. But Warner absolutely is a shoe-in for the HOF.

Kurt Warner was the 1999 and 2001 NFL MVP. He also won the Super Bowl in 1999, and was the MVP. He is one of 6 players to ever win the League MVP and Super Bowl MVP in the same year. He set the Super Bowl record for passing yards (414) with no interceptions. He is also the NFL's second most accurate QB of all time (based on completion percentage).

Why is he not going to the HOF again?

"Career" is the operative word. Never has the phrase "hot and cold" been more suitable in describing a career.

The following is from Peter King (he has a HOF vote as well) who writes for CNNSI and I agree with his last statement. Stats do not lie. The man was great for half of his career and horrible the other half.

" Great Kurt I
3 years
1999-2001
43 starts
4,204 average passing yards
33-17 TDs to Int Ratio

The Kurt-Falls-To-Earth Intermission
5 years
2002-06
31 starts
1,588 average passing yards
5-6 TDs to Int Ratio

Great Kurt II
2 years
2007-08
27 starts
4,000 average passing yards
29-16 TDs to Int Ratio

Would my opinion change if Warner, who will be 38 on opening day 2009, won a third MVP? Or he won a second Super Bowl, with a second team? It very well could. Let's see what the future brings. "

Status
Not open for further replies.