Swing Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the proper 3D position of the swing center is relatively new, but I was wondering if any of you have given this information to a student during a lesson, maybe even as a swing thought? If you have used this, did it seem to help the student understand their swing center and make a better pivot on the downswing?

Thanks,
Jim S.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I have used the spine for YEARS with phenomenal success.

The "point-between-the-shoulders" as well.

But the 3-D thingy is pretty new, and lately, my lessons have been VERY basic.

I have personally tried it, and, to be honest, is the EASIEST idea I have ever worked on.

I have personally tried it, and, to be honest, is the EASIEST idea I have ever worked on.

Yea Brian, this is why I asked. I went out a couple of weeks ago and hit a few balls with this swing thought and it was an immediate improvement. Its funny that I have followed the threads about all of this for however long it has been going on and I never thought about if I was pivoting correctly using this information. I found that it allowed for so many aspects of the downswing to "just happen", i.e. axis tilt, right shoulder on plane, etc. It was one of those improvements that is confusing because it was too good, too quick.

Thanks,
Jim S.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It took two balls.

I went out to hit balls to warm up for "Episode 4."

I thought, OK, let's try to imagine that the REAL SWING CENTER—i.e. the "thing I am going to rotate around" was this spot bewtween my shoulders and in the back third of my torso.

On the first ball, the idea was so easy to "feel" I almost fell down laughing and hit it thin.

The next one was dead flush, and after a few, I "put it away" mentally and put my mind back in my hands.

Someone once said: "I find montioring my head and trying to keep it stationary is easier than trying to monitor a "point-between-my-shoulders."

I don't think he even tried it. Too scared it might work better. ;)

Brian,

If, for whatever reason, a player was sliding the hips in both directions (backswing and downswing), would he still be able to use the between the shoulders center? I'm assuming that a stationary head might be a better option for that type of swing?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Brian,

If, for whatever reason, a player was sliding the hips in both directions (backswing and downswing), would he still be able to use the between the shoulders center? I'm assuming that a stationary head might be a better option for that type of swing?

The point to indentifying the TRUE swing center, is to ELIMINATE FOREVER the silly THROUGH-THE-Stationary Head pivot center!! :mad:

Brian.. I know this isn't the most appropriate of threads to mention this, but one of the things I always mention is that the center of the swing is around the part of the spine directly between the shoulders. The reason for WEIGHT SHIFT is because your upper bodies mass is all in front of your spine. That means your body mass rotates around your spine putting most of it over your back foot in the back swing and over your front foot on the finish. If the player is trying to keep his balance centered, the swing center will shift.

It's an extremely important distinction I have found, and I think you've been mentioning it a lot lately.. esspecially in the whirlwind video.

so are you coming closer to the references that I made between the three resources of information, SFTPS, mike austin, and the lady in the yellow book and away from tigers backswing?

Status
Not open for further replies.