Swing Overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
What tour players had the most dramatic swing overhauls that helped them? Which ones did not work, or haven't worked well yet? I will start.

Helped--
Faldo
Nick Price
Gary McCord
Hogan

Hasn't helped yet--
Seve
Beck
Duval?

quote:Originally posted by lagster

What tour players had the most dramatic swing overhauls that helped them? Which ones did not work, or haven't worked well yet? I will start.

Helped--
Faldo
Nick Price
Gary McCord
Hogan

Hasn't helped yet--
Seve
Beck
Duval?

I don't know about Duval. I followed him at Disney and he was too busy bs'ing with his wife during the round. I think his mind is elsewhere.

quote:Originally posted by lagster

Helped--
Faldo
Nick Price
Gary McCord
Hogan

Hasn't helped yet--
Seve
Beck
Duval?
They all make changes for the better in some part of their game. Hanging with other champions WILL change you.

They asked Tom Watson why people were hitting the ball farther he said something like --
50% Ball
40%clubs
10% stronger
0% instuction

I believe if the famous teachers were more versed in Homer"s work that Watson's credit to teacher's would be higher.
The famous teacher's are good at just that--- GETTING FAMOUS.

Byron Nelson helped Watson.
I haven't seen much of David Gossett lately.

I forgot about Johnny Miller-- Mr. Doyle helped him, and he went on to win several more tournaments, after a long slump.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by bcoak

Gossett

From the little I have seen his motion, he just needs to get more stable/centered - he moves too much - a bit like Strange.

quote:Originally posted by DDL

Didn't IB FInch completely damage his swing after tweaking it with a new swing coach?

I think he tried to make changes in search of the old "extra distance" and just totally fell off the planet.

Charles Howell started working with Leadbetter after the 2001 season during which he earned a spot on the Tour through exemptions.

In the words of Leadbetter, "Most people need more lag -- with Charles, we're trying to de-lag him somewhat."

2002 - 9th on the money list.
2003 - 14th
2004 - 33rd and missed the Tour Championship

De-lagging a golf swing is beyond absurd.

In 1992 George Kelnhofer showed me the swing of a student of 4 years---Charles Howell--.His swing was Hogan like. His parents had to choose between a G.S.E.D. (George) and Leadbetter------------ oops

rwh

New
Helped by changes:
2003-2004 Jay Haas (putting)
1999-2000 Tiger (Butchie's changes)
2004 Phil Mickleson
2003 Darren Clarke

Hurt by changes:
Post-Butchie Tiger changes

When Leadbetter talks about Lag, I'm pretty sure he is talking about #2 Accumulator lag, or what is often called a "delayed" or "late" hit. For some reason, he wants Charles to have a little less forward leaning shaft. I believe he thinks this is easier to time.

I suppose one could get too much forward lean, but I'm sure it is a seldom, or rarely seen thing. Even if one had enough to excessively deloft their clubs, they could just get more lofted clubs.

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

Charles Howell started working with Leadbetter after the 2001 season during which he earned a spot on the Tour through exemptions.

In the words of Leadbetter, "Most people need more lag -- with Charles, we're trying to de-lag him somewhat."

2002 - 9th on the money list.
2003 - 14th
2004 - 33rd and missed the Tour Championship

De-lagging a golf swing is beyond absurd.

MJ,

Great post. Pretty telling.

Sergio has been working on getting less lag. It seems to start working for him now.

Thomas Bjorn started this season wanting to play more on the US tour. Starting out with a couple of good results. Then by suggestion of his good friend Darren Clarke went to see Butch Harmon. After that everything fell apart. He missed the cut in all the majors. He seems to be recovering now after he went back to his old coach Pete Cowan.

lag,

Yes, were talking #2 lag. A more forward leaning shaft is not the same thing as max lag #2 though. You can have a forward leaning shaft with very little #2 lag. And you can have a lot of #2 lag, and then quit, and get the clubhead passing the hands at impact.

Before Leadbetter, when Howell's hands reached his right thigh on the downswing, his shaft was still 30 degs ABOVE horizontal! The "normal" pro position is horizontal or a little above. By the time Howell's hands were above the ball, the clubhead was still about 4' from the ball. Then after another 2"-3" of hand movement, impact occured, giving a slightly forward leaning shaft with the driver. You can see this at golfdigest.com under swing sequences. You can step through the swing using the playbar. This lag is why the anemic looking Howell can generate so much head speed and no competent instructor would ever try to reduce it.

MizunoJoe,

I agree with what you say. Tom Watson, for example, has a nearly sweep release, but still has a good impact condition. Julius Boros had a fairly late release, but broke down right after impact.

I saw Charley's swing on video at around 15 years old, and it was excellent... good #2 lag(small pulley), and good forward lean at impact. He weighed, I would guess, around 90lbs., and could fly the ball around 240 or 250 with a range ball.

I think for a while he would see Leadbetter, and at times G. Kelnhofer. Leadbetter would reduce the #2lag and forward lean, and then George would put it back in.

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

lag,

Yes, were talking #2 lag. A more forward leaning shaft is not the same thing as max lag #2 though. You can have a forward leaning shaft with very little #2 lag. And you can have a lot of #2 lag, and then quit, and get the clubhead passing the hands at impact.

Before Leadbetter, when Howell's hands reached his right thigh on the downswing, his shaft was still 30 degs ABOVE horizontal! The "normal" pro position is horizontal or a little above. By the time Howell's hands were above the ball, the clubhead was still about 4' from the ball. Then after another 2"-3" of hand movement, impact occured, giving a slightly forward leaning shaft with the driver. You can see this at golfdigest.com under swing sequences. You can step through the swing using the playbar. This lag is why the anemic looking Howell can generate so much head speed and no competent instructor would ever try to reduce it.

MJ,

Just trying to get my mellon around this . . . #2 lag, is it the acuteness (sp?) of the angle of left wrist cock? So I guess as an example it looks like Howell has more angle than the video of Brian's swing. Am I understanding your post correctly?

Thanks man!

Richard

run,

The angle measures the degree of #2 accumulator(wristcock). The more acute the angle is at release point, the more #2 "lag potential".

Howell does have a more acute angle than Brian. And, Howell holds his wristcock deeper into the downswing for a auto snap release, but Howell is Swinging while Brian is Hitting with a non-auto(I think) sweep release.

Status
Not open for further replies.