Swing Plane "feel" changes through the bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently cut a hole in the butt-end of the grip of an old 8 iron and stuck an old shaft into the 8 iron to create what I call my "plane stick" club. I can swing it back and down while pointing the butt end of the shaft at the plane line, but I can't take it much past post-impact because the shaft extending out of the grip end of the club would hit me in the side. Nevertheless, it is a good practice aid and it works better than a laser outdoors at the range.

I did the same thing with an ancient Titleist 975D 45 inch driver. I practiced tracing the plane line with the 8 iron for a few swings, and immediately did the same with my new "plane stick driver". I used a mirror for feedback in addition to my constant monitoring of where the clubshaft was pointing.

I could not believe the wide difference in "feel" that it takes to set the 8 iron on plane versus the driver. Is that why this game is so difficult? Do I have to ingrain 13 or 14 different feels for setting each club correctly on plane?

I feel the difference primarily in the amount that the right wrist bends back upon itself. For the more upright clubs (short irons), I feel that I have to cock the left wrist more and also that the right wrist does not have to bend very far back on itself to set the club on plane. Conversely, with the driver, I feel that I don't need to cock the left wrist very much but that I need to bend the right wrist back on itself a bit more.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is there a certain, distinct "sameness" in feel that I should be shooting for on all clubs regardless of length and lie of the club that guarantees that the club is on plane?

EdZ

New
do you keep a single ball position or vary it? If you keep a single ball position, you may notice a different 'feel' because of the need to adjust aiming point.

Personally, I vary ball position and have a definite 'sameness' in feel through the bag

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Swing is the same, setup is different.

i make no adjustments or feel to my swing plane, however how far:

1) you bend from the waist
2) you stand from the ball

will make the shaft "appear" to be flatter/steeper

Keep the same setup and same length (hands from your body not hands to the ball) and you should swing the same

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Again.....YIKES!!!!

Ya'll are gving me heartburn.

Victor, NO DOUBT the changes in plane angles feels different.

Tommy Armour wasn't even the first to mention it in print.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Most people have NO IDEA of how to alter their set-ups for the longer clubs.

You need: Forward ball position + More Address Axis tilt + "Belt Buckle Pointing behind the ball" + right shoulder "As far away from the ball as possible."

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Most people have NO IDEA of how to alter their set-ups for the longer clubs.

You need: Forward ball position + More Address Axis tilt + "Belt Buckle Pointing behind the ball" + right shoulder "As far away from the ball as possible."

Got any pictures to show this? Or, maybe a new video short!

Status
Not open for further replies.