Swing Speed Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffy

Banned
Has anybody used the Swing Speed Radar?

How accurate is it?

I have one, and I have timed a bunch of players at my club with it and it seems to be on the mark. Most of the good players my age (50-ish) are around 105, although one tested at 112. A couple of strong teenagers were in the 115 to 120 range.

I paired it up with a Zelocity Pure Contact that measures ballspeed (and gives an estimate of carry distance) in order to capture "smash factor": ballspeed/clubhead speed. Smash factor measures how efficiently the energy is transfered from the clubhead to the ball; obviously, the higher the better.

The pros have a smash factor of around 1.5, whereas most amateurs I measured are in the 1.30 to 1.40 range. I've never seen any kind of good information on what influences smash factor beyond how close to the sweetspot contact is. I think there is more to it than that, though.

Something like the Zelocity Pure Launch captures just about everything: ballspeed, clubhead speed, spin, launch angle, angle of attack, carry distance, angle of descent, and carry and roll distance. It runs about $4k, though, plus you need a PC to run the analytics. The Trackman does all that too, but with stronger radars, so it tracks the ball flight all the way to the end (Zelocity's radars follow the ball for at most 50 feet or so, although it is reasonably accurate indoors with as little as ten feet. It then uses algorithms to estimate carry distance, angle of descent, and carry and roll distance). Of course, Trackman's are A LOT more expensive, starting at $20k, I believe, and probably wouldn't work indoors.

Last edited:
I also have the Swing Speed and find it accurate and useful. The speeds it indicates match well with readings I've had from clubfitters and with my actual carry distances on the course.

I got the version with the Tempo indicator and would recommend that feature as well.

One warning, however. I've actually hurt myself by trying to swing faster and faster when in front of the radar. There's a real temptation to keep trying to "notch it up" and record a higher and higher swing speed.:eek:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Swing Speed Radar is pretty accurate for swing speed readings, i have not tested it against launch monitors for ball speed comparisons.

it's more accurate than the beltronics swingmate.

Leek

New
I have it, and checked it against a launch monitor. for clubhead speed, it's pretty accurate. I have never measured ball speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.