Swinging to right field vs Swinging left

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do these relate to each other? When I think about swinging to right field I am unable to "swing left". I assume the club face will still travel towards right field by swinging left?

I'm not sure I'm 100% on this either.....but am more "on it" then I once was......

Cause I understand the geometry in it's most basic form....

i.e. trace a straight plane line..........to create a visual "arc" of the clubhead

i.e. "make a rainbow" or "windshield wipe" with the ball getting struck just behind the apex

i.e. just like any ARC....the ARC curves left after the apex....(but you still TRACE a STRAIGHT plane line in downswing........i.e. laser beam burn on ground)

So there's that.......

But I'd always look at guys like Trevino and Hogan....and then Brian would say something like (and it would esp. shock me with Trevino): "He swung as far left as anyone."

I would go "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?"

The reason why it's deceiving I think tho is because Trevino had that shift DOWN to the ELBOW PLANE. So he's still tracing that same ARC (which bends left) with his shaft and right arm...........but he's doing it on a flatter (less vertical) plane....and one he has to SHIFT down to. (which looks and feels like swinging right I think)

This is all pretty new to me but when I do this...........and hopefully I'm doing it right BTW.......it feels like swinging right because of the SHIFT to the lower plane and more underneath the club with my right hand. But it also feels like swinging left esp. if I try to cut across the ball and put some fade spin on it.

It's still new stuff but I'm working on getting more lift in my backswing (I have always been ridiculously underplane) so that when I shift down to the Elbow Plane it's on plane rather than UNDERplane. (which is what happens if I take it back too flat) "Lift the torch" (backswing) then drop er down to the elbow plane. (i.e. "skip a rock")

Working on it anyway.

As has been preached around here learn to hit fades with a driver off the deck and you'll know what it's like to swing left enough.........you have to "cut across the ball" and make that "gather up the marbles downswing"......

I used to always hit pull hooks when I tried it but am getting better at it with a few adjustments.

You gotta really feel like you're cutting across that ball and putting that fade spin on it. It takes a certain plane line and clubface COMBO.

COMBO DEAL.....boo haha.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Great Questions Ray...!!! (run, Ray, RUN!!!)

How do these relate to each other? When I think about swinging to right field I am unable to "swing left". I assume the club face will still travel towards right field by swinging left?

When the "club works like a club" it is always rotating around a center, and it is flipping over....and over.

The face is opening all the way back, and closing all the way down and then some back up again.

The club is traveling DOWN AND OUT to the ball (And then on to low point) and then UP AND IN.

The PIVOT has a big responsibility in all this as the left shoulder does something like the clubhad does—so does the hips and knees, so does the hands.

They ALL MOVE IN, go back OUT, then go back IN.

Golfers who can't go OUT to "RIGHT FIELD" have no problem with the IN (swinging left).

Golfers who can't SWING LEFT, go OUT to "RIGHT FIELD" and go way too far...never to be seen from or heard again.

What's the trick?

Really swinging the clubhead with your hands, and having the body—the pivot—participate in the swinging.

No steering.

How?

You need to learn to make the clubface NOT OPEN TOO MUCH or CLOSE ENOUGH (The Golfers who can't go OUT to "RIGHT FIELD" have no problem with the IN (swinging left).

...and...or...

You need to learn to make the clubface OPEN ENOUGH and not CLOSE TOO MUCH (The Golfers who can't SWING LEFT, go OUT to "RIGHT FIELD" and go way too far...never to be seen from or heard again).

At the end of the day, when you aren't a SLICER or HOOKER anymore...you need to "Find your spot on the MATRIX" either making sure you don't do one or the other in MINIATURE...

Or...

The HOLY GRAIL straight ball....a straight PLANE LINE, neutral clubface, and no leakage or OVER DOWN ARCHING!!!

For that, the PIVOT MUST BE PERFECTLY MATCHED to the POWER PACKAGE.

"A straight ball is an accident." —Ben Hogan

I think of it as swinging my hands down and then LEFT while the club head goes down and out to the RIGHT..... try it with a few practice swings and you'll see how it works

In the past i've thought of swinging everything out to right field including my hands which leads to a new set of problems

I think of it as swinging my hands down and then LEFT while the club head goes down and out to the RIGHT..... try it with a few practice swings and you'll see how it works

In the past i've thought of swinging everything out to right field including my hands which leads to a new set of problems

Berqsey,
Can you expand on your technique of moving your hands left while clubhead moves right? Something about that strikes me as an effective move.

Thanks,

Jon

Like I said I am making some adjustments with this (tracing a better plane line...i.e. not to the right) in mind. A few different things I'm trying to accomplish this. Steeper turn of the shoulders.....or LIFTING (like a torch) my arms (with my arms)......or using my arms to move the club back (instead of my pivot), but with less LIFTING and more "sweeping it back." And some other things. Still tinkering and testing.

I had a pretty good ballstriking round friday. Then I went out Saturday and hit pull hooks like crazy. Esp. when I was trying to hit fades. And ESPECIALLY with low fades.

Hmmmmm.

Today I started with more Axis Tilt at address and hit it much much better.

Still a work in progress and am still working on LOW fades. (tilt not only influences your plane line but helps with hitting it high too)

Tomorrow for low fades I will try to set clubface open at address (definitely will have to do this if I setup with little tilt) and adjust ball position.

Anyhoo I figured I should post what I learned. Hope it helps someone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.