Ten Finger grip and lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started hitting a few shots at the range the other with a ten finger grip and using that to really feel like I held the angle coming down

Not sure why but using a baseball grip really helped me keep lag coming down and I was getting 5-10 yards more with my long irons .. any idea why?

There was a training aid on the market at some point, probably still around somewhere, where you slid part of the grip up the shaft and then down again in the downswing...... like a split hand drill.

Not an expert, but it sure feels like that right should goes waaaaaaaay down plane in a split hand grip........like hitting a slapshot.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Down this road.

Like I said in another thread...experiment with your grip if you must.

The 10-finger grip is fine, but everyone I ever saw try it, and some for a long time, came back to a overlap.

"It took 'em 600 years to come up with this grip"

Like I said in another thread...experiment with your grip if you must.

The 10-finger grip is fine, but everyone I ever saw try it, and some for a long time, came back to a overlap.

"It took 'em 600 years to come up with this grip"

unless your Moe Norman...;) when he was asked,
"Moe, what do you think of the Vardon grip?"

His reply,
"It stinks! Ive got 10 fingers, why would I use 9 of them to golf?"

because Moe..... because.....

I've been using a 10 finger grip for over a year. It feels natural and secure. I think that the Vardon doesn't have any mechanical advantages over the 10 finger grip. The Vardon and overlap are both unnatural. I can't think of any reason why anyone would ever intuitively grip ANY object like that, but golf is special!

I've been using a 10 finger grip for over a year. It feels natural and secure. I think that the Vardon doesn't have any mechanical advantages over the 10 finger grip. The Vardon and overlap are both unnatural. I can't think of any reason why anyone would ever intuitively grip ANY object like that, but golf is special!

I think it has to do with the "melding" of the two hands into one feeling...
for me, I cant do a 10 finger grip, Ill grip it like Its the only thing keeping me from falling off the empire state building.
which brings me to the next point, the vardon grip or interlocking grip helps you to maintain a proper grip pressure.

Disadvantages I found with the baseball grip..
It was more difficult getting my hands set properly in relation to each other.....easy to get one of them too strong or weak...
It caused too much "angle tilt" at address...my right shoulder felt too low..
It is far too easy to overpower the clubshaft on the way down...using an interlocking or Vardon helps minimise this (especially a double overlap grip)...

Thats how mine feels as well. I also have the feeling that my right hand can 'pull' on my right thumb as I can turn back allowing a better feeling of extensor action

Having a neutral grip I have the feeling that as I turn that grip allows my right hand to turn over more naturally during release- as opposed to having to set up with a stronger grip with my old interlocking grip

As stated I also can really feel the club more in the PP's with that grip esp in the transition - perhaps I have small hands and standard grips ... I dont know

Disadvantages I found with the baseball grip..
It was more difficult getting my hands set properly in relation to each other.....easy to get one of them too strong or weak...
It caused too much "angle tilt" at address...my right shoulder felt too low..
It is far too easy to overpower the clubshaft on the way down...using an interlocking or Vardon helps minimise this (especially a double overlap grip)...

I haven't experienced any of this.

Perhaps you would be classed as a "swinger." Being only 5'10 and 150 lb I am definitely a "hitter"...:)

Im a hitter and I find the grip really helps me hit down with the right hand and feel the pressure points more .. horses for courses maybe. Wasnt Moe a hitter?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
No one is a true hitter (except maybe for very short shots). You wouldn't hit it anywhere if you were. Everyone uses a bit of pulling and pushing.

This has been discussed ad nauseum.

No one is a true hitter (except maybe for very short shots). You wouldn't hit it anywhere if you were. Everyone uses a bit of pulling and pushing.

This has been discussed ad nauseum.

We all know that GL....its simply a way of giving a base classification....I'm a very right handed swinger..I don't actively use the left arm at all, it simply provides the radius.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
We all know that GL....its simply a way of giving a base classification....I'm a very right handed swinger..I don't actively use the left arm at all, it simply provides the radius.

That is cool. I am the same way really, I don't think much at all about my left arm, I just make sure my right arm does what it is supposed to....When I "hit" with the right arm, it's snapfu city.

I use to be king of the "right arm swing", but I'm finding better results from concentrating on my left arm. I don't believe that pure swinging is possible because every time I attempt it, my right arm powers through from about solar plexus high until the bottom of my swing where everything is whiplashed out from my left arm. Options suck! I wish there were only one way to swing a golf club, and if you tried anything else your arms would fall off.

Status
Not open for further replies.