The Fat shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried searching for causes/cures for fat shots. No luck. If you know any, please post.

So, what causes a fat shot.

1. Too much right hand?
2. Straightening the right arm too soon?
3. Not enough or fast enough forward pivot?
4. Right shoulder too far down?
5. Too much axis tilt?
6. Bad aiming point?

Started hitting the ball fat when I began experimenting with TGM, maybe 4 years now. Now, I can't get rid of them. Its really pissing me off. Wish I had time to drive down to Jim K for a lesson!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Most common for people who swing too far to the right (like you ;))

1) Swinging too far to the right moves low point back and thus you can fat them
2) Swaying off the ball, letting your weight move to the outside of your right foot
3) Too much axis tilt on the downswing which won't let you get your hands far enough foward to hit down properly

---------

Try this (this only applies to Wolfman because i know his swing a little):

I want you to FEEL LIKE your head stays still, you only get your hands to 3/4 high in your backswing, and you feel your weight shift on the INSIDE of your right foot. You can even put something under the outside of your right foot to make sure your weight doesn't shift too far.

Try that and see what happens.

"You can even put something under the outside of your right foot to make sure your weight doesn't shift too far."

-Golf ball works great, have used this many times. If you use a mat you can cut one in half.

2x4

Carry that 2x4 everywhere, now. I don't think I'm swinging too far to the right anymore. Hitting the ball longer and straighter than I have for at least 2 years.

Jim, if you remember, we worked on not getting the weight to the outside of the right foot. I was reviewing my notes from that lesson. Been making a lot of dry swings the last 2 days trying to make sure I don't do that. That is harder to do than getting the club more up and less in and swinging left!

Maybe if I lost a little weight, my big belly wouldn't carry me to the outside of the right foot.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The ocassional chunky shot has been a killer of my game for many years! I have been analyzed by many, but I'm not sure anyone has ever pinpointed the problem. I continue my quest :).

bts

New
It's your mind , again.

Tried searching for causes/cures for fat shots. No luck. If you know any, please post.

So, what causes a fat shot.

1. Too much right hand?
2. Straightening the right arm too soon?
3. Not enough or fast enough forward pivot?
4. Right shoulder too far down?
5. Too much axis tilt?
6. Bad aiming point?

Started hitting the ball fat when I began experimenting with TGM, maybe 4 years now. Now, I can't get rid of them. Its really pissing me off. Wish I had time to drive down to Jim K for a lesson!
"So, what causes a fat shot"?

Try to hit it high or get it in the air and scoop.

The other is "trying to have the center of the clubface meet the back equator of the ball" with a lofted clubface.

BTW, the cause of a thin shot:

Try to avoid hitting it fat while trying the above.

The ocassional chunky shot has been a killer of my game for many years! I have been analyzed by many, but I'm not sure anyone has ever pinpointed the problem. I continue my quest :).

I usually go back to the walk-through drill if I get any fats...Usually solves it, which indicates a lazy pivot....

Leek

New
Most common for people who swing too far to the right (like you ;))

1) Swinging too far to the right moves low point back and thus you can fat them
2) Swaying off the ball, letting your weight move to the outside of your right foot
3) Too much axis tilt on the downswing which won't let you get your hands far enough foward to hit down properly

---------

Try this (this only applies to Wolfman because i know his swing a little):

I want you to FEEL LIKE your head stays still, you only get your hands to 3/4 high in your backswing, and you feel your weight shift on the INSIDE of your right foot. You can even put something under the outside of your right foot to make sure your weight doesn't shift too far.

Try that and see what happens.

Jim- just a question- what about hands even with or behind the clubface at impact?

Puttmad, actually, the more I shift the weight, the worse it gets. I've tried the Gary Player move before :). But, I do appreciate the input.

The more I think about the chunky shots, I'm beginning to wonder if they are more a result of my lack of rotation through the impact area as I have a tendency to slide instead of rotate.

Last edited:

JeffM

I would have thought that the most common cause of a fat shot is reverse pivoting, which results in swaying of the upper spine AWAY from the target at the start of the downswing and a steep angle of attack on the ball.

Jeff.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I would have thought that the most common cause of a fat shot is reverse pivoting, which results in swaying of the upper spine AWAY from the target at the start of the downswing and a steep angle of attack on the ball.

Jeff.

This happens too however not so much in Wolfman's case as i've seen his swing before.

Status
Not open for further replies.