The "Flat Backswing-Swing Around Your Body" Swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I don't want to name names of other teachers and their theories, but I'd like to get your ideas around the "rotary swing", quite honestly it sounds a lot to me like Brian's ideas around swing more left....

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ok, I don't want to name names of other teachers and their theories, but I'd like to get your ideas around the The "Flat Backswing-Swing Around Your Body" Swing, quite honestly it sounds a lot to me like Brian's ideas around swing more left....

I will comment on it soon.

I re-named it the "The "Flat Backswing-Swing Around Your Body" Swing" 'cause, well, that's what it is.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Before we get into the "bashing," I have done some research, and i agree with most of it.

HOWEVER

The whole, "lets swing it really flat" idea is pretty junk and i even have my own saying on the problem: "Too much around and not enough up."

Eventually i'm going to do a video tip on it.

Brian, what's interesting is that when they demonstrate the swing, it's a fairly standard on-plane backswing, just they incorporate more turn left on the downswing.

I think this pattern, which is all it is, would probably work ok for a hang back under plane too far right golfer.

I was a former member of the site referenced. Good mix of instruction and actual physical workouts. I adopted it and became really good with it, but when the wheels fall off, I revert back to old stuff, and even worse. Left the site. Why, cause I am a golfer, thats what we do, try something else. Now I am here, the story is improving.................

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Most Tour players who swing under the TSP on the backswing (Tommy Armour, Zach Johnson, Chad Cambell,etc) swing higher, or in to out, thru the ball. Some don't though. I think the backswing irons out some things and tightens up some better players' swings. But it makes it pretty hard to swing left enough. Superior rotary ability required.

Most average players i see with flat, rotary backswings cant narrow the downswing, dont have enough speed, struggle with fairway woods and roundhouse the right shoulder and hit low sloppy draws.

I haven't studied the "Flat Backswing-Swing Around Your Body" swing. But I have studied swings of great players where it looked like they are swinging flat. People try to copy their "flat" positions without realizing how it's acheived. Tip off: it's "flat" because there is just enough lift such that relationships are maintained. Understand that if you force a flat armswing it's just as bad if not worse than a too upright arm swing.

dale47

New
I honestly hope you look for some good things in these 2 methods. I guess were not allowed to say what they are but they're similar . I recently tried one of the methods and have had some real success with it because i have a consistent swing bottom using SOME of this method. Did I adapt all of what there teaching.....NO ! I'm a hitter and one of these "methods" or ,better said , one of the concepts of this method really helped me.

I used to be the King Of Flat. (it was a pretty weak reign)

Gross!

Super-duper flat. It was basically my NSA without totally knowing it was NSA though.

Once I got my clubface less open and started being able to take some mean divots the cure.....

...of course was NHA. (or close to it)

(I kept the arched left wrist for a good while and didn't "keep my bum on the wall" in the backswing)

it's "flat" because there is just enough lift such that relationships are maintained.

What relationships?

I am toying around with the method some, but I sometimes struggle with what initially appears to be a pull hook. When I try to use this method, I really have to watch my ball position, if I get too forward, the pull hooks will creep up. For those of you who have used this method, was ball position an issue for you?

Where as my miss with the soft draw pattern is more due to face pulls.

I'm confused

If all this conversation about this other swing is about the instructor who I think it's about, I'm confused as to how at all that swing could be considered too flat or too much around one's body. All the video I've seen of those students who employ this swing are nowhere near either one of those...perhaps this is in regards to someone else that I don't recognize??

tchilds, I agree with your assessment. While it sounds flattish in description, when I see it demonstrated the swing looks pretty standard. I'm almost begining to think that if you're relatively on plane at the top of the backswing, you can turn as hard left as you want and still not come over the top, unless you cast terribly.

However, with that being said, since this is Brian's forum, I try to avoid mentioning other instructors. I actually think it's very similar to Brian's idea of "swing more left", which demonstrates Brian's ability to teach multiple patterns.

I'd be interested in hearing Brian's comments.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The "Soft Fade" pattern.

If your shoulder are steep enough, you arms can swing flatter—relative to your shoulders—and you can make a USABLE backswing.

My "Soft Fade" pattern uses this.

It is NOT for everyone, and really, to me, not maybe even enough to do a video on.

When I have seen golfers who have gone to Hardy himself for lessons (and this is recently) they look so ridiculous at address that it is hard to believe someone gets paid to put them there.

The backswing then looks like they are trying lead with their right elbow, and then the downswing looks like a lunge.

I despise it.

Now Quinton looks more golf-like when he poses, but, he has gotten several bad reviews from folks that have gone to see him, and then wound up with me.

I try not to talk about other teachers on here, but, this time, this stuff needs to be exposed for what it is:

Just a pattern, not very golf-like, not very orthodox, not one bit better than the WORSE pattern I ever taught.

Status
Not open for further replies.