The Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming that we all make it through December 21st unscathed, I thought it might be fun to engage in a quick flight of fancy or two.
What piece of teaching technology will, in skilled hands, enable ALL students* to understand how to, and indeed deliver the club like a tour professional on a regular basis? Will it grow out of something already on the market or the drawing board? Will it require something radical that somebody wishes for but knows the technology is aeons away? Will it be something that nobody has yet thought of? Will it ever be possible?

*Assume no physical limitations

ZAP

New
I sure hope there is nothing that ever makes golf easy for everyone. I have big hopes for Project 1.68 for helping golfers improve.

Those Mayans can kiss my @&*!

The ENSO-pro system exists.

200 G, G.

...And in your hands you can get every student to deliver the club like a tour pro using the ENSO?
Wow, the future is already here and that pissed on my bonfire:(

What about being able to look inside a human being throughout the swing?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Oh...ENSO-pro is studio only, marker enable clubs only, etc.

One day—I Believe soon—they'll be a way to measure the club at 1000hz or better on all three axes.

...And in your hands you can get every student to deliver the club like a tour pro using the ENSO?
Wow, the future is already here and that pissed on my bonfire:(

What about being able to look inside a human being throughout the swing?

Don't mean to bring more piss to the party, but they already got that technology at the airport. :)

Don't mean to bring more piss to the party, but they already got that technology at the airport. :)
So I should trade in P.G.A for T.S.A?
"Please empty your pockets of all cell phones, keys, wallets and negative beta, thankyou"

And Brian, if you could gimme a quick run down of what 1000Hz means and then - and this is the exciting part for me - tell me how you'd use that information to get Charlie Chop to fizz it out there like a superstar.
I'm fascinated by all this, I really am...

Oli, the future will bring something completely new and revolutionary. The current crop of technological wonders will be relegated to the scrapheap within 10 years, maybe 5.

What the new stuff will do is anybody's guess, but this stuff now on the market doesn't do the job in any way shape or form. Hence the need for teachers who try to bridge the gap.

I think the future is some way to transmit "feelings". I know that some of the feels that I have in the swing are so complex that nobody could ever relate them in their entirety to a fellow golfer. Maybe they wouldn't even help that golfer.

I know of course that this flies in the face of the scientific pursuit of facts and the "feel vs real" argument, but nevertheless I am convinced that the scientific facts will not make much of a difference to Harold Hacker. ;)

Oli, the future will bring something completely new and revolutionary. The current crop of technological wonders will be relegated to the scrapheap within 10 years, maybe

I think the future is some way to transmit "feelings".

I know of course that this flies in the face of the scientific pursuit of facts and the "feel vs real" argument, but nevertheless I am convinced that the scientific facts will not make much of a difference to Harold Hacker. ;)

I "feel" you are correct!

Old Tom

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
So I should trade in P.G.A for T.S.A?
"Please empty your pockets of all cell phones, keys, wallets and negative beta, thankyou"

And Brian, if you could gimme a quick run down of what 1000Hz means and then - and this is the exciting part for me - tell me how you'd use that information to get Charlie Chop to fizz it out there like a superstar.
I'm fascinated by all this, I really am...

Unfortunately, Charlie chop will never likely fizzle it out there like a superstar anymore than ENSO will get me to do a 360 dunk from the foul line.

Wulsy
That's what I was thinking: a system that attaches to a tour pro, downloads their feelings (is this called proprioception?) which can then be uploaded into the mind of a regular golfer. And those feelings correlate exactly viz a viz actual body and club positions.

Hey Ols, maybe it will be invented on our fine Isle! Then the Germans can perfect it, the Americans can dumb it down for mass consumption and then mass produce it in South Korea. In the meantime the Germans will work on a higher quality version which will appeal to the higher income classes. The Americans and the Germans get rich before the Chinese start producing it cheaper than the Americans whilst infringing the patents which were taken out by the British, Germans and Americans. By this point an new version has been produced in Germany, based on a prototype from a joint venture by MIT and Cambridge Univerisity and a new story of our global word starts again from scratch. ;)

Do you think it would go down as well as fiery Irn-Bru? ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C3DVlaqlMiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But seriously, how successful would something like that be? It would require some serious patenting and make a lot of people very rich.

My guess us in the next 10 years we will
see a lot more 3D systems with wireless motion sensors (rather then camera based or cable based).
I am not an expert on hardware but I guess the sensor plus RF already won't cost more the $20-30 per sensor.

You just need scale if economy and you could see them being very affordable even for weekend hackers like myself.

The price of launch monitors will come down as well but not as much as 3D systems.
Launch monitors will be able to measure the club right to the top and might even measure some body parts (e.g. With metal reflectors worn by the player).

Force plates will be very cheap as well.

The really new thing will be that a little 'hat' and some other sensors around the body which will be able to measure brain and muscle activity and that can be used to see what muscles are fired when and where.

And with all this technology the average handicap will go down by 0 strokes;-)

Par, you're probably right, but the future can't be the present. This kind of stuff is already here. Clearly the financial gain of selling present and outdated technology is huge to manufacturers and patent holders.

But the desire for more instant gain is the mother of innovation and invention and will lead to something which may actually work in terms of improving people's golf.

How about a practice club that, when you swing it, measures the forces (ie. alpha, beta, gamma) that it is experiencing?

As a teacher I Would hope the next great breakthrough would be in learning. Information delivery in addition to technology. How can we continue to make progress in teaching and learning. All the new systems are educating us teachers as what to do and what not, but how we communicate that better. Men are still 18s, ladies are still 28s and so on. Mike Hebron suggests a paradigm shift in the approach to teaching. He suggests that bad learning environments are the culprit? Not trying to derail ur thread here Oliver, just sayin...

Status
Not open for further replies.