The Kevin Shields Tour Pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Kevin for the insights.
Anything in particular about the short-game shots used? Were most of the players using the Manzella pro style pitch, or did it vary depending on what was presented to the player.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Well lets put it this way. Sam Saunders will be a fully exempt player as soon as he learns longer swings using the bounce around the greens.

Well lets put it this way. Sam Saunders will be a fully exempt player as soon as he learns longer swings using the bounce around the greens.

That one shot has helped my short game incredibly. I have not dug a pitch in 3 months. The confidence knowing that I can glide the bounce with a longer swing is heaven...HEAVEN!

"It's a celebration bi+ches"

That one shot has helped my short game incredibly. I have not dug a pitch in 3 months. The confidence knowing that I can glide the bounce with a longer swing is heaven...HEAVEN!

Lindsey: can you share your method of using the bounce around the greens and on fuller shots?

Lindsey: can you share your method of using the bounce around the greens and on fuller shots?

For me it is always about swing verses drag in pitching and chipping. Understanding a pitch is truly under the ball.

1. Enough backswing so I don't need to over accelerate the handle coming down which causes to much lag.
1.a - always a slight to really open face and with vertical shaft at address

2. A quiet pivot with no lateral or rotary movement. The lateral and rotary creates to much lag and drag.

3. Widen by straightening my right arm on the way down

4. Keep the grip pointing mid body throughout

5. Allow my lead wrist to cup through impact

Lastly, I practice pulling up on the handle through impact, but never think of it on the course.

Last edited:
I also use that technique on almost every partial wedge I hit. Like a 110 yd 48 degree or a 70 yard 60 degree. I love hitting my wedges now using these techniques. I almost prefer to hit the partial shot now as opposed to the full wedge swings. So much more forgiving.

I guess if I really have to carry a bunker or hazard with spin I will still hit the full shot, but I almost never hit any full wedges anymore.

Lindsey,
Where do you play the ball in your stance or does it vary depending on the kind of action you want?
Thanks,
Jimmy

I also use that technique on almost every partial wedge I hit. Like a 110 yd 48 degree or a 70 yard 60 degree. I love hitting my wedges now using these techniques. I almost prefer to hit the partial shot now as opposed to the full wedge swings. So much more forgiving.

I guess if I really have to carry a bunker or hazard with spin I will still hit the full shot, but I almost never hit any full wedges anymore.

I imagine Reavie wishes he had that shot for his 72 hole yesterday! From 117 yards that huge pull was horrible.

Was that poor shot selection or poor execution? When all the marbles are on the line, the body can do weird things.

For me it is always about swing verses drag in pitching and chipping. Understanding a pitch is truly under the ball.

1. Enough backswing so I don't need to over accelerate the handle coming down which causes to much lag.
1.a - always a slight to really open face and with vertical shaft at address

2. A quiet pivot with no lateral or rotary movement. The lateral and rotary creates to much lag and drag.

3. Widen by straightening my right arm on the way down

4. Keep the grip pointing mid body throughout

5. Allow my lead wrist to cup through impact

Lastly, I practice pulling up on the handle through impact, but never think of it on the course.

Do you practice the "pull up" motion to get better low point control? It seems that if the club has a lot of bounce that if you don't pull up slightly you could have the bounce hit too much behind the ball.

Anybody catch the reaction of Webb's wife when Reavie yanked that wedge left? Funny stuff.

I do however feel bad for Reavie. The moment clearly got to him. He could make 3 from that spot in his sleep.

Back on topic, this is good pitching advice that I intend to try this evening. Thanks LN.

Anybody catch the reaction of Webb's wife when Reavie yanked that wedge left? Funny stuff.

I do however feel bad for Reavie. The moment clearly got to him. He could make 3 from that spot in his sleep.

Back on topic, this is good pitching advice that I intend to try this evening. Thanks LN.

She had the same reaction when Chez missed the putt! Funny! Webb was pretty stone faced. Thought she was going to drop the baby.

Do you practice the "pull up" motion to get better low point control? It seems that if the club has a lot of bounce that if you don't pull up slightly you could have the bounce hit too much behind the ball.

The pull up really helps me aim the sweetspot earlier coming down without digging. I think it helps expose the bounce without having to open the face too much. I also feel it helps get the shaft in a vertical position at impact.

Was that poor shot selection or poor execution? When all the marbles are on the line, the body can do weird things.

My thought was that perhaps a shot like Lindsey is talking about (a less than full swing wedge) may have been easier on his nerves under the pressure. Of course there may have been reasons he could not have done that too so just unfortunate for him. Really appreciated his outward demeanor though during that process. Much nicer than the club being chucked etc that we have seen from some lately, or the finished swing and whoops I let go of my club.

I didnt see how he finished up in the playoff after he lost, I assume he was cool there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.