The Need for Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working on trying to increase my clubhead speed the last few weeks and have found some interesting, (to me at least), observations. I have been swinging some pulled graphite shafts trying to swing as fast as possible using a Swing Speed Radar to measure my clubhead speed. Here are my observations:

Graphite Shaft Only
1. Left hand only swing - 125 mph
2. Right hand only swing - 120 mph
3. Both hand swing - 116 mph

Old Persimmon Driver
1. Left hand only - 78 mph
2. Right hand only - 76 mph
3. Both hands - 98 mph

I have always swung heavier clubs better, my graphite pulls are from drivers that I had to replace with steel shafts. This has improved since I went to see Brian, I can play a graphite (lighter) driver now without any problems. What still bothers me is how much swing speed I lose swinging the shaft only when I use both hands. I assume that my swing is not as efficient as it should be or I wouldn't lose almost 10 mph. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions from these observations?

Thank you,
Jim S.

I have been working on trying to increase my clubhead speed the last few weeks and have found some interesting, (to me at least), observations. I have been swinging some pulled graphite shafts trying to swing as fast as possible using a Swing Speed Radar to measure my clubhead speed. Here are my observations:

Graphite Shaft Only
1. Left hand only swing - 125 mph
2. Right hand only swing - 120 mph
3. Both hand swing - 116 mph

Old Persimmon Driver
1. Left hand only - 78 mph
2. Right hand only - 76 mph
3. Both hands - 98 mph

I have always swung heavier clubs better, my graphite pulls are from drivers that I had to replace with steel shafts. This has improved since I went to see Brian, I can play a graphite (lighter) driver now without any problems. What still bothers me is how much swing speed I lose swinging the shaft only when I use both hands. I assume that my swing is not as efficient as it should be or I wouldn't lose almost 10 mph. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions from these observations?

Thank you,
Jim S.

Maybe it's a subconscious effort to keep from hurting yourself. Or possibly, with the shaft only, it's difficult to sequence the swing effectively because the shaft is so light.

Self-Mastery, These swings are made trying to duplicate my golf swing the best that I can, just with more speed. I don't want to pick up clubhead speed at the expense of accuracy.

BigWill, I think you are correct about the sequencing or maybe inefficiency between the right side and the left which may be the same thing.

Jim S.

Just an observation sj...
It appears that the right arm is slowing the left arm down....with a corresponding overall drop in speed...(think about it)....
It would appear that you need to swing as "left handed" as possible, without the right hand interfering...or alternatively, increase the right hand speed....

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ah....no.

Just an observation sj...
It appears that the right arm is slowing the left arm down....with a corresponding overall drop in speed...(think about it)....
It would appear that you need to swing as "left handed" as possible, without the right hand interfering...or alternatively, increase the right hand speed....

I completely and totally disagree.

It is simply a differnt set of conditions two-handed.

You should ALWAYS strive for a "two-handed" swing, but you can use any feel you want.

I completely and totally disagree.

It is simply a differnt set of conditions two-handed.

You should ALWAYS strive for a "two-handed" swing, but you can use any feel you want.

I don't disagree with you at all Brian....note that "left handed" is in inverted commas....:)

Here are a couple of pix from video I took swinging the shaft only. Brian, I don't want to use this for swing help especially with your new video lessons. I just feel that I am losing some yards by not using my left and right side together. Do you think that there is any merit to my concern? Is there anything evident from the pictures that would help me get better in sync?

Jim S.

my.php

my.php

This is my first time trying to add pictures as attachments so if it doesn't come out well any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Starretj,

also,

the shoulders and the right elbow angle are much different...

If you were to measure your swing speed by maintaining the angle with the right elbow a little longer, and use the right shoulder to go down to the ball, would the right side increase in swing speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.