The SAND WEDGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If the situation dictates it i will, however i'll chip with any club.

from 3 wood to lob wedge. Even Tiger has aluded many times that he is strarting to use less club and get the ball "rolling more" instead of trying to keep skidding it to the hole.

Me2....got a 54....I use basically just that.

Normal, open face.....belly it.....etc. I like chipping with my hybrid sometimes.

Don't use a 9 iron or w/e much these days.

Practise Habit

I think here is the answer, the reason why I am asking that question is that, with the correct Hinge action that we know off, we can put a bit more manipulation to control the shot. I find that, the old school people would prefer to use different club to chip with, as they say Higher loft, higher risk. I think as long as we are not using a three iron to pitch, that will be reasonable enough.

Obviously, using different club is good, but again, we have to practise with different club too at the green, in order to gain the confident, particularly under pressure.

I always force myself to use less loft club to chip, particularly in the situation of less fairway and more green shot. But I always chip past the hole when I am using longer clubs.

I think that is related to our practise habit too, if we are so use to just the one club to practise on the green i.e. Sand Iron. Then all the feel and confident will be on that JUST THE ONE CLUB.

Just the 56 for me right now, I find that I need the consistancy of staying with one club. Maybe I will start to try others when I have been golfing a lot longer.

Brian Manzella said:
You should chip with every club in the bag.

Really.
I had tried to do only a wedge, but ended up with using a few different clubs. It's just too hard to chip a sand wedge up a slope to a back pin position. Feeling like I have to swing way too hard to get there. Pelz had described a carry:roll ratio for different clubs that seems to work out for me (This is the one of the few things that I still use Pelz's ideas for)

But just curious, Brian, why do you feel that way?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Brian Manzella said:
You should chip with every club in the bag.

Really.

Agreed, i've gone back and forth between Brian's way and my way which is mostly a sand/lob wedge approach and i'll get more balls in a 3 foot circle chipping with the same motion, hinge action, etc with just a different club.

Now you can't obviously always due that but if you can, you should.

Status
Not open for further replies.