The Snead Squat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim McClean was talking on TGC about how Tiger and other power hitters compress their bodies down on the downswing effectively lowering their head momentarily, only to then explode out of the squat and blast the ball. Tried it on the range. I looked silly.

Seems to violate Homer's policy against stationary head and bobbing. Any thoughts?

Homer talks about the 'sit down' position also. Head shouldn't bob.

The Hips should move in such a way so that:

1) The hands have a clear straight line path through impact.
2) Right shuolder gets on plane.
3) Maintain balance.
4) Maintain stationary head.

The weight shifts and 'squat' like positions you get are then the inevitable result from doing the above.

I can tell you this squatting down and blasting off thign by itself does NOT provide one extra once of power!

If timed correctly, you can get more "snap" from the uncocking left wrist. With the ball teed up, you can do it without squatting.

EdZ

New
I got a kick out of that show..... when he was at Orange County National at the same location/practice green that Lynn and Ted had been teaching - going through a 'practice' routine that was quite similar to "chip, pitch, punch" and in the same exact places for each too. Off topic...

On topic - you can generate a lot of leverage from the ground with that move, but I really wouldn't 'try' to do it. Avoid the 'snare' of moving your 'center'

I find that this move is easier if you focus on the motion of the left knee moving level, and towards the target, as the first move down. The 'squat' will happen and you will really feel the leverage in your entire lower body.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The farther to "right field" you swing, the more you have the "LOOK" of the Snead Squat.

Also....it is just "perparation" for "THROWING THE DRUNK OFF YOUR BACK."

No?

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

The farther to "right field" you swing, the more you have the "LOOK" of the Snead Squat.

No?
I remember you saying something about going into the ground (Squat) to come out of the ground (Throwing the drunk off your lead shoulder at Canton. That plant yourself and rip idea seems to get the squat without trying to pretend and simulate the position.

Brian: Did you get my email re DVDs?

No?

so brian would you say that snead swung out to right field

snead_p5.png
[/url]

The only time Snead "swung to right field" was when he used a closed stance line...which I'm led to believe he used quite a bit in his career.

NAT

snead_p8.png
[/url]

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by Non-AuthorizedTGM

snead_p5.png
[/url]

The only time Snead "swung to right field" was when he used a closed stance line...which I'm led to believe he used quite a bit in his career.

NAT

snead_p8.png
[/url]
I am sure Snead like Goosen played a pull shot.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I didn't say you HAD TO swing out to right field.

What I was saying is very basic:

If the hips are more closed—later in the downswing FOR ANY REASON—you will look like you have more 'sit down.'

oh i thought you said

No?

i caught an interview once with sam snead where he said i got the squat look from trying to keep an even amount of weight on both feet at start down. also look at his right foot in most pictures it is more flared out then his left so when he squats he gets that bowed looked where as if your right foot was straight your knee wouldnt bow out

Status
Not open for further replies.