The "tray" position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming a good pivot(ala manzella), is the tray position at the top the preferred top position for all clubs?

safe to say...

I think that pretty much any question with "is this the only way to do things" type questions will get the same answer. ;) Each component of the swing can be customized to the individual and their pattern.

Good Point mj.

Let me ask this question then...Is the "tray position" optimal for a strong gripping/angle hinging/controlled fader of the golf ball (i.e. Duval circa '99)?

I was thinking about this the other night........(in the shower lol)......

"Tray" vs. "torch"............is what it feels like to me.

lia41985

What an apt way to describe this position. Sergio, I assume, would be a waiter holding a tray, no?

You see something similar to this in tennis. You may have heard of this guy, Roger Federer:
federer_1301_wideweb__430x207.jpg

lia41985

A powerful position? Seems like some of the best servers in tennis history had this waiter's tray position. See Sampras below. Any carryover in the golf swing. Brian, what are the implications of this position--for what patterns? What are the advantages? Disadvantages? Thanks in advance.
sampras_serve_04_0402.jpg

Watch any pro and you will see the tray position or some variation of it depending on the club etc. It is my key to power, don't know about anyone else on this db but if you are having trouble with shot trajectory or distances, try to get into the tray position, it just might be of some help.
After playing for 30 years, I finally found the position through my mentor Phil Ritson. I was struggling but since have played the last 12 years in single digit handicap.
Keeping the tray position but varying grip or ball position, its easy to alter shot shape and trajectory; one can also change face at address like Jack explains in golf my way.
I was just curious whether it fit Brian's swing philosophy or whether he had something completely different to teach.

Any pictures of golfers that use the "torch"?

[x] Tray position
[x] Frozen right wrist
[x] Power
[x] Accuracy
[x] Trajectory
[x] Ease of use
[x] One forward ball position

Last edited:
Nicklaus...?

It's just what I feel particularly when I make a swing with a steeper shoulder turn. (my current one) "Lift the torch."

This is NOT having to do with solely using my right forearm, BTW. (just having to do with it's motion) I still like to feel like I move the club with my left shoulder.

Flatter shoulder turn and I relate more to "tray."

By this "tray" position, are you guys referring to a really bent right wrist and flat left wrist? I waited tables at a place with full tray service (really effing heavy trays) and I can tell you that I would never think of getting into a "true" tray position.

As far as one that just "feels like" a tray position (i.e. not as exaggerated), I personally find that it depends on my left hand grip as to what happens. With a strong grip (one I recently ditched for lack of clubface control...it was a really strong grip), a "tray" position worked fine. With a more "neutral" grip, a "tray" position hurts my left hand and wrist (to the point where it gets sore and worrisome) and I get no wrist cock at all and hit bad shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.