The "Up" in the backswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leek,

Take some swings with your backyard against a wall. Then go from right to left cheek against the wall on the way down.

jimmyt

New
I am new to this forum and to Brian Manzella can you be a little more detailed regarding the up move on the back swing. I am coming off of about a 9 month experiment with the 1p swing and I have ingrained certain backswing motions that I want to eliminate.

Thanks for any help

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Leek, i always described the "up" as performing a bicep curl with a dumb bell (sp?).

You take the club away and then you simply do a bicep curl with your right arm (adding in some extensor action) and make sure you bend at the elbow.

jimmyt

New
Jim K, I was wondering if you can give a former Chicago native a description of the up the wall move on the backswing. I'm at work and my company filters you tube so I can't watch it now and I am playing this afternoon.

Help!

The "up the Wall" backswing thought is to imagine that at address the tip of your club is against a wall that is parallel to your target line, as you begin your backswing your thought is that your arms lift the club (as your body starts it back and in) up the wall. You might want to give it a try in your garage. Be careful not to try and reach too far out to keep it "on the wall" as the pivot starts to take it "in", it is merely an image to get you thinking more "up" in your backswing sooner. Hope this helps.

Leek

New
Thanks Jim. I tried it tonight. This brings me to another question. By using the bicep curl idea, the club no longer got behind me and my downswing was more on-plane (I fight under the plane). In your experience, does the up often eliminate the severe inside-out/under swing?

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thanks Jim. I tried it tonight. This brings me to another question. By using the bicep curl idea, the club no longer got behind me and my downswing was more on-plane (I fight under the plane). In your experience, does the up often eliminate the severe inside-out/under swing?

If the swing becomes mor eup/down then it will become less in/out and of course vice versa.

The trick is figuring out which type you do best with.

One question, how much right elbow bend is enough? 90 degree?
Thanks.

There isn't really a set angle for the right elbow. It all depends on your own body physiology, i.e. the length of your arms in relationship to the width of your shoulders...
The ideal for most people would be a bend in the right elbow which doesn't cause too much bend in the left elbow, If you see what I mean....
If you over bend the right elbow, the left will collapse at the top...

Leek

New
If you over bend the right elbow, the left will collapse at the top...

It will? I'm not sure I understand. If I overbend my right elbow, it gets lower and close to my side and way below plane. Maybe it's just me. Can you explain your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.