This kind of instruction makes me ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[media]http://www.box.net/shared/static/03x620ek42.jpg[/media]

Pictured, Jim Flick, telling the golfing world to "sweep" the ball out of fairway bunkers and even mentions Sandy Lyle's great shot at Augusta back in the day. He failed to mention that the lip on that bunker is 8' tall and it requires an "educated" flip to artificially elevate the ball.

I added in the black line showing the flip and the leaky yellow wedge. YES, you can play like this, but good luck knowing how far your iron shots are traveling and where they are going.

I guess this is good. It keeps me busy.

And this fellow is supposedly the best of the best?

SJO

New
It makes me wonder what he "taught" Nicklaus back in the day??

He didn't "teach" Nicklaus until he was an old man and not winning majors. I would question just how much Nicklaus took on board at any stage from him as I've never heard Nicklaus talk about Flick when Flick's not there. Seem more like business partners to me.

greenfree

Banned

Pictured, Jim Flick, telling the golfing world to "sweep" the ball out of fairway bunkers and even mentions Sandy Lyle's great shot at Augusta back in the day. He failed to mention that the lip on that bunker is 8' tall and it requires an "educated" flip to artificially elevate the ball.

I added in the black line showing the flip and the leaky yellow wedge. YES, you can play like this, but good luck knowing how far your iron shots are traveling and where they are going.

That Flick, what a con artist, thanks for letting us know. I for one won't take a lesson from him.:D;)

Last edited:
Apparently my sarcasm didn't come through as sharply as I hoped. I really don't know what kind of buisness they would have had together that would benefit Jack. Maybe an indicator of Jacks generosity towards Mr. Flick.

Martin, when you flip rest assured that not only do your iron shots go everywhere, your driver is also along for the ride. Trust me, were I a zoologist, last summer I probably could have discovered a few new species in the places I had to visit.

He is right though, when I flipped I was money out of fairway bunkers. Never disturbed a grain of sand. Now that I learned to compress the ball with COFF, I find my fairway bunker play is not as good. Everywhere else, my game has improved.

Best of both worlds:

He is right though, when I flipped I was money out of fairway bunkers. Never disturbed a grain of sand. Now that I learned to compress the ball with COFF, I find my fairway bunker play is not as good. Everywhere else, my game has improved.

You can still pick the ball relatively cleanly without flipping though.
Ball position and axis tilt...

Also, CMartin, your thread title should have been "This kind of instruction makes me money." :)

I've always said that The Golf Channel and other golf mags are what keeps me in business as a teacher. There is enough bad and/or confusing information out there to keep people experimenting.

Also, CMartin, your thread title should have been "This kind of instruction makes me money." :)

I've always said that The Golf Channel and other golf mags are what keeps me in business as a teacher. There is enough bad and/or confusing information out there to keep people experimenting.

I wonder if that is true. Granted, the motivated golfer will eventually find a good instructor, but how many golfers have simply accepted their level of play, play purely for enjoyment, and have decided that instruction is simply a waste of time and money.

I wonder if that is true. Granted, the motivated golfer will eventually find a good instructor, but how many golfers have simply accepted their level of play, play purely for enjoyment, and have decided that instruction is simply a waste of time and money.

Too many. It's really unfortunate, because I feel that there IS good information out there, and am confident that ANY golfer can improve, if they take the right approach. Too many do not, however.

Think about all the people you know in your workplace. Then observe how many of them really are doing anything to improve their skills in order to move up the ladder, or take a job with another company in a higher paying position. It will be a small percentage.

I am reminded of a challenge issued to me by a regional manager many years ago. I was being offered a promotion, but it required moving from West Coast to East Coast. I had recently married. My wife's father had been killed in a plane crash about 8 months prior to the opportunity. His challenge was whether I really had the nerve to move away from my comfort zone. He said that a really high percentage of people, in his experience, are qualified, say they want to be promoted, but in the end won't make the sacrifice. We went, and it all worked out for the best.

My observations of golfers suggests a parallel. Look up the term, "Bell Curve".
The percentage of golfers dedicated to improvement, who will actually do the work, is way on the right hand side.

Yeah, like the below plane guy that says he always makes better contact when the ball is above his feet or the Over the top guy that makes better contact when the ball is below his feet.

Think about all the people you know in your workplace. Then observe how many of them really are doing anything to improve their skills in order to move up the ladder, or take a job with another company in a higher paying position. It will be a small percentage............

My observations of golfers suggests a parallel. Look up the term, "Bell Curve".
The percentage of golfers dedicated to improvement, who will actually do the work, is way on the right hand side.

I do not argue with your central thesis. However, I believe there are a substantial number of golfers that are in the next several percentiles who have tried golf instruction, and for whatever reason, determined it is a waste of time. My anecdotal evidence would suggest that approximately half of these fail because they are not willing to practice or play sufficiently to get any benefit, but I spend a lot of time on public practice ranges where I get to overhear lessons, and even as a student, I sometimes feel compelled to tell these poor souls the best thing they could do for their game is to RUN!

Roger,

Picking these shots will get them out of the bunker and may start the ball on line, but you won't have decent distance control. That's the issue with this "method."

Let's face it, most golfers are flippers anyway, so this makes perfect sense. Unless the bunker lip is really high, bunker shots don't bother me one bit. I'd much rather be in a fairway bunker than in rough. It's the purest lie on the course.

If you have control of your low point, you won't mind these shots. Keep working on it and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers.

MC

Status
Not open for further replies.