Thoughts from a Tour Player - a rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had a long talk with a PGA Tour player and former winner on Tour. He lost his card this year. He'll be playing on the Nationwide Tour. I won't mention his name as I'm paraphrasing and those guys are a pretty touchy lot and I'm sure someone out there is webland knows him.

I asked him about his swing and if he's working with anyone. He's been know to see everyone and anyone who has a theory. Sort of like Tom Kite 15 years ago.

Pleasantly, he told me that he isn't going to see anyone. He was working with Plummer and Bennett and had good things to say, but felt it was time he "dug it out of the dirt." He explained that he was so into his swing and why he missed that he basically ignored his short game and his scoring skills left him. Not to mention he didn't have a feel for HIS game.

His new plan. Putt and chip 'till the cows come home. He said that he hit the ball well at Tour School but didn't convert many up and downs. He did shoot one round in the low 60's but it was too little too late.

I applauded his plan and hope he can stick with it, as it is sort of like a junkie quiting junk. It's hard to do. He wants to take ownership of his action and let's face it, that's the best kind of action to have. One that you believe in.

This led to us talking about when we were kids and how we improved. We didn't focus on the minute details of the swing. We focused on scoring and getting the ball in the hole.

This PGA Tour player sponsors a junior program at the club where he hangs his hat. He tells the Dads that ask him what they should do for their kids and he tells them:

Don't let them play the Men's tee until they can break 70 most rounds from the Ladies forward tee. When they can break 70 most rounds, let them move back one tee. Keep that progression until they can do it from the back tee. They may never get there, but if they can, look out, you've got a PLAYER.

What's so good about a 14 year old that can shoot 78 from the Men's tee? Nothing, cause he's learning to shoot 78. It's better if he shoots 68 from the Ladies' tee and makes 6 birdies. His point, learn to go deep when you are young. If you can't go low from a forward tee you shouldn't play a longer tee. It shows you where you need to fix your game.

I'm going to use that with my juniors going forward. Some will balk at the idea, but since I don't charge them in my clinics, I don't really care and it will spotlight their weakness.

I occaisionally hear one of my members say that they find an longer set of tees easier than a forward set. Sure if you shoot 85 or 90. Let's face it, short games suck out there and if you start a hole closer to the green you ought to score much better and it should be easier not harder.

I think I'll play the Ladies' Tee for a while myself;)

Dariusz J.

Good thoughts, CM. I am of the same opinion as regards kids. I am a bit terrified what our domestic golf association is doing. They want to LOWER the age of juniors (it was 14 until now) to force them to play from men's tees from age 12 (!). My son is 11 and was asked to join the training sessions of our National Team of Young Juniors. While I am happy about it I wonder if it is not too early to force the kid to obey those queer rules, since he has only one season left to play from ladies tees.

A good post, cheers.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Bill Davis wouldn't let Jerry Kelly move back from the red tees until he could make 10 birdies......and he was in his twenties!!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I have thought about doing this myself. Not moving from the reds until I break 70, then the golds, then the whites, and finally the blues.

I think I will do this the rest of the winter and see how it goes.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Maybe i'll get yelled at, but i think the player you are talking about is going from one extreme (too much swing analysis) to the other (too much work on the short game).

I think that to continually improve a player needs to do both. It is obvious to me from your description that he got too into his swing and that can easily happen. However i think he created a game plan of simply working on his short game X% and then working on things he needs to improve in his mid/long game Y%, he will probably become a more complete player.

I know personally when i neglect EITHER part of my game, my overall game suffers. As a for instance:

When i was teaching i had time to hit a lot of balls and very little time to putt or practice short game (50 yards and in specifically). So on those days when i did play, if i was hitting my irons good i was shooting very low scores. On those days when i wasn't so good my scores would blow up because i had no feel due to lack of practice.

I had some interesting rounds where i could throw a string of birdies together and then a large group of bogies or worse too. I think i even made a post here about a round i had in the summer where i had 7 birdies in 1 round and didn't break par.

I can't speak for the player himself obviously.....but I just try to always improve EVERYTHING.

As for the swing....that's of course part of EVERYTHING....and one facet of the game that you (hopefully) need to have a handle on in every round of golf so..........

The idea about the tees is interesting though.........learn to focus on score and build confidence while you can I guess eh?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I think I know who you're talking about. Did he need Stack n Tilt? Did it screw him up to where he needed his short game more often to bail him out?

mpro

New
Sometimes I wonder if it would be a whole lot better just to create shots and forget mechanics? Golf your ball...

I might need to try that because my game is a bit sketchy at the moment. I've spent so much time learning how to control my driver and improve my 100yd and in game that my iron game is in the dumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.