Tiger Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what Tiger recently told Golf Digest he's working on in his swing.

Less head movement helps me control my tee shots

One of the toughest adjustments I've had to make with my new swing is reducing head movement on my backswing, especially with the driver. Before, when turning away from the ball, I would shift my head away from the target, almost over my right knee. That much head movement made it difficult to keep the club on plane throughout the swing, which led to some sloppy driving. By keeping my head in place, I'm now able to control my distance and direction much better off the tee, even when I'm trying to take it deep.

Doesn't sound like the perfect pivot. It's working for Tiger in the win column. Now, is it going to limit his play, as to back and neck problems.

I find this article interesting, that Tiger just now found out about head movement. This kind of teaching has been out there for how long.

Darn Butch anyways, Thanks Haney, now I can again, beat all the Pro's.

Kinda goes against BM teaching, may have to impliment this one for Tiger swingers only. :)

:D But it's getting more ink now again. The change is finally working for him.
Does he win the PGA with this redefined head still game?

lmisner,

This is a misinterpretation. Before, he DID NOT turn around his upper spine as Brian suggests, NOW HE IS. If you check out the newest video on Nike.com, and especially where Brian breaks down his new swing you will see that this is the fact.

Matt

are you implying that he said keeping his head STILL? That is what I am getting from you so let me know if I am reading into it wrong. What I get from that article is he does not want it moving as much as it does, but he is not implying to keep it still

Tiger tale

shootin4par said:
are you implying that he said keeping his head STILL? That is what I am getting from you so let me know if I am reading into it wrong. What I get from that article is he does not want it moving as much as it does, but he is not implying to keep it still

Your right he is saying reduce. Only the fact is he is keeping it still on the backswing. It's his downswing that is bailing this move out. Back and neck trouble will be a coming. Winning is looking good again for Tiger, so it's keep it still for him now.

lmisner1040 said:
That head is being held still. It may be moving a tad. It's working right now for him . Will he have it this way for long. Or another swing change down the road. Downswing is helping that backswing out.

a tad? check it out again and click on the head shot. before he starts place a ruler or straight edge on your screen, his head moves back 2-3 inches or more and if you judged it by his left cheek, becuase it moves back and turns away, then it would be even more

Head

shootin4par said:
a tad? check it out again and click on the head shot. before he starts place a ruler or straight edge on your screen, his head moves back 2-3 inches or more and if you judged it by his left cheek, becuase it moves back and turns away, then it would be even more

Okay, gotcha, thats correct. Why does it not show this on the full image?

Erik_K

New
there's at least 2-3 inches of lateral head movement on the video.

I don't think Tiger (like all great players) is actually trying to move his head, but it's a byproduct of his backswing, axis tilt, etc.

To all of these 'keep your head still' devotees: does anyone actually try this? To me it feels so unnatural and restricted. The head wants to move back and forth some due to a correct, ATHLETIC, pivot. It seems like when I want to have a very still head (on full shots) I am really trying to hold something back that otherwise wants to move.

lmisner1040 said:
Okay, gotcha, thats correct. Why does it not show this on the full image?
well on the full image, just like the head shot, before he starts place a ruler or straight edge on your screen,
it moves on that one as well, now it might not look as pronounced but that is only because it is not a close up, ir moves the same

Status
Not open for further replies.