Tiger's putting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Foley has to stop teaching Tiger how to putt................right now. Tiger is the greatest putter in the history of the game. He made EVERYTHING for 13 years. The only thing you teach Tiger with putting is to get back to doing EXACTLY what he used to do. Messing around with the most technically perfect stroke of all time so that it more closely resembles your favored full swing pattern is bordering on reckless. I saw some release action today with the putter that I've never seen before from Tiger. And it didn't look good.

I agree. I won't speak to the "most technically perfect stroke of all time" aspect of your post, but agree 100% that the need to "match" his release to a full swing model is silly. I'm not buying the neural pathway story in this case...

Not sure that the stats would agree that he is the greatest putter of all time. He has probably had the most opportunities to make putts that actually matter though. He needs to rebuild his putting ideals from whatever deep dark place that he can find and hear Earl in his ear.

The only thing you teach Tiger with putting is to get back to doing EXACTLY what he used to do

Seems like a million people agree with this and the golf swing of the past ...........The Big Miss

Dariusz J.

Well, the old saying is -- if you have nothing nice to say, better say nothing. I remain silent then.

Cheers

S

SteveT

The only thing you teach Tiger with putting is to get back to doing EXACTLY what he used to do.

How does this happen? Perhaps Tiger is unable to get back to his old putting form for physical and mental reasons. Perhaps he's lost his old form forever!!:eek:

bcoak

New
Miller commented he thought his left hand grip had gotten very weak. Did Foley change his full swing grip?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Whoa....!!

Tiger has taken putting lessons from SEVERAL different people in his life.

Sean is now the reason for his recent putting issues??

Come on...

I'm curious with some of the comments about his putting... do most of you feel that his mechanics (or how they look on TV) is the main element to good putting, especially his putting?

If you aren't reading the break and/or rolling it with the correct speed, what does the "look" of his stroke matter?

I don't think there's ever been any evidence that his stroke mechanics where the model of perfection. However, his eye for the break and his speed control was simply incredible over a 10 year stretch. If those two elements a slipping, you can tinker with the mechanics all you want...

looks to me that he's just a bit tentative on some of his shorter putts, and they are falling off his intended line. Old Tiger jammed everything and didn't care if he went 4 foot by, would make the come backer.

I think that, under Foley, this was the first time where he was making a significant putting technique change from what he's normally done. He's even said himself that he's trying to putt more like Stricker does, which I feel confident in saying is fairly different from Tiger's former technique.

He blames his green reading all the time these days, but perhaps he's less comfortable with rolling the ball itself.

His F-Bombs are right on cue as always though...he hasn't lost that. Stay classy Eldrick.

This old gag?

Seriously?

Put the camera on 99% of the other players, for every shot, of every tournament, and tell me if you don't see them curse.

You guys live quite the pious lifestyle. I don't, so I could care less if he or anyone else curses.

This old gag?

Seriously?

Put the camera on 99% of the other players, for every shot, of every tournament, and tell me if you don't see them curse.

You guys live quite the pious lifestyle. I don't, so I could care less if he or anyone else curses.

That's weak dude.

I'm guessing this is what Rory heard when the 62 went up...:)

images

Status
Not open for further replies.