Tips for putting on really fast greens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard sometimes to putt on extremely fast greens. For some reason my mind will not believe that a certain strroke is all it takes to go 20 feet.

How do some of you condition yourself to "ease up" when the greens are lightning fast.

Any practice routines?

Thanks

find a spot to where i want to putt to, look at that spot while practice my stroke imagining how it would be when i actually hit the ball. Then it would just go in..if not closer.

I find it hard sometimes to putt on extremely fast greens. For some reason my mind will not believe that a certain strroke is all it takes to go 20 feet.

How do some of you condition yourself to "ease up" when the greens are lightning fast.

Any practice routines?

Thanks

how much time do you spend on the practice green before you tee off at courses with super fast greens?

Well I can tell you one thing fast greens separate golfers fairly quickly. A lot of it is experience. Here is how I prepare: If the putting green is fast. Go thru a few scenerios of putts you may have on the course. I use one ball........you can use only one ball on the course. Plus forces you to pay more attention to line and speed. Also try to have just enough backswing to not decelerate. Hey dare it to miss, no matter who you are, everyone three putts (or more)!

You need to take the "hit" out of your stroke. Your arms hands and putter should feel like one piece moving in unison and impact just happens to "get in the way."

And just because the greens are fast doesn't mean you can't follow through......

Burner

New
you don't practice putting before you tee off?

Nope.

Its a little bit pointless in terms of being a rehearsal of what you will be doing, and the conditions under which you will be doing it, on the golf course.

The putting stroke, itself, can be practised in the locker room or car park and that is what you need to put in good order before you venture onto the course, where every green will have its individual characteristics and speed.

I have yet to play on a PGA tournament prepared course where the greens are "stimped" equally.

Nope.

Its a little bit pointless in terms of being a rehearsal of what you will be doing, and the conditions under which you will be doing it, on the golf course.

The putting stroke, itself, can be practised in the locker room or car park and that is what you need to put in good order before you venture onto the course, where every green will have its individual characteristics and speed.

I have yet to play on a PGA tournament prepared course where the greens are "stimped" equally.

if you want to get that specific, hitting a shot on the range isn't anything like hitting a shot on the course either, but I'm sure you go to the range to warm up. going to the practice green is for the same purpose. it might not have exactly the same speed as every green on the course, but it is an approximation.

On super fast greens, my buddy taught me a good trick which is usually used on fast downhill putts - It may sound unconventional - the greens I play on run about a 11-12 on the stimp according to the starters and club pros - instead of lining up the putter in the middle, line it up more towards the toe. You can take the same stroke you would normally take for that distance but because you are hitting the putt off center, the speed is dulled a bit - I think a lot of you may think this is not a good idea but I have success with it and it may be something you can experiment with on the putting greens - My putting has improved dramatically using this little trick on those super slick greens - give it a go

Burner

New
if you want to get that specific, hitting a shot on the range isn't anything like hitting a shot on the course either, but I'm sure you go to the range to warm up. going to the practice green is for the same purpose. it might not have exactly the same speed as every green on the course, but it is an approximation.

Didn't want to get that specific but you asked a question so I thought I had better offer an explanation.

Wasted effort, it would seem.

According to Tom Barlett hitting a shot on the range and on the course are the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bartlett View Post

I've heard that one a few times before. "I hit it great on the range but then go to the course and it's not the same". BS!
They hit it the same on the course as on the range

I think the mis-quote is obvious.

Chris, you're just being an ass for the sake of being an ass. Why don't you try and help someone rather than take shots at Brian, Tom, etc.

Chris Sturgess

You think claiming something to be obvious that doesn't exist is a ploy that will actually work. Who are you used to dealing with gullible 3rd graders. Bartlett has clearly stated many times that he thinks people hit the ball on the course just as well as they do on the range. That is what I am refering to. While the statement is true, I was basically joking in my original mentioning of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.