Toe hits + fats = vicious cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I began hitting numerous shots off the toe. I even have whiffed a couple of shots to the inside. I have noticed that I "scrunch in" my arms on some of these shots and stand up at impact on almost all of them, so my torso and arms are backing away from the ball.

I'm trying to figure out why. I've always fought fat shots, both those resulting from poor weight transfer and those resulting from early release of the right arm and wrist. My belief is that I pull away from the ball to protect myself from the shock of smacking the ground. I have no idea, however, as to why the toe hits have appeared so suddenly.

Does this diagnosis make sense? Most importantly, how can I best attack this problem from its root causes? I'd like to catch this at the earliest weak point in the chain.

Thank you very much.

gumper

S

SteveT

Perhaps you could provide us with you weight, height and age too ... because you are the "golf swing" ... not the clubs.

Burner

New
Hard to say without seeing you but......................

Recently I began hitting numerous shots off the toe. I even have whiffed a couple of shots to the inside. I have noticed that I "scrunch in" my arms on some of these shots and stand up at impact on almost all of them, so my torso and arms are backing away from the ball.

I'm trying to figure out why. I've always fought fat shots, both those resulting from poor weight transfer and those resulting from early release of the right arm and wrist. My belief is that I pull away from the ball to protect myself from the shock of smacking the ground. I have no idea, however, as to why the toe hits have appeared so suddenly.

Does this diagnosis make sense? Most importantly, how can I best attack this problem from its root causes? I'd like to catch this at the earliest weak point in the chain.

Thank you very much.

gumper

Round housing probably, or could just be a glitch at set up.

Either way, you are standing up and pulling away from the ball to give you room to get the club head at it.

Play the ball a little further forwards in your stance and a little further out from your body.

This should get you hitting the ball better for now and give you time to sort out what is fundamentally wrong.

S

SteveT

Burner ... how can you say that without knowing what the guy looks like ... you're only guessing and to suggest he will be "hitting the ball better" is misleading ...!!!

I find it interesting that Steve wants to know what the GUY looks like, but it is his swing that we should be asking for. Post a video of your swing if you want some input. Steve will say you are fat and that is why you suck. But there are many knowledgeable folks here that will look at your actual golf swing, not your ass. Ha ha.... I am interested in this thread as I have had the same problem at times. It seems to come and go. One day I am hitting the best shots of my life, over and over. Next day, I am shanking (or sending off completely open face) and hitting the range mat 4" before the ball. It is a viscous cycle indeed. One that is going to have me driving to NO soon it appears.

Here is me yesterday, a good day. Just an hour ago, I was at the range doing the "viscous cycle":(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpMF5waoc8

-Dan

Last edited:
The Fix.....or a good start anyhoo

1. Flatter Turn of the Shoulders going back.
2. Underhand Toss Drill (aka: skipping a stone drill) going to and through impact.

Just a thought.......

Last edited:
S

SteveT

Here is me yesterday, a good day. Just an hour ago, I was at the range doing the "viscous cycle":(

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpMF5waoc8[/media]

Dan ... that's a terrible swing because you maintain a bent left elbow through Release, Impact and Followthru ... accompanied by 'flipping' your hands/wrists through Impact ...!!!!

No wonder your swing breaks down and goes viciously chaotic ... you are not 'swinging' ... you're 'shovelling' the club through Impact ... sheesh ....:eek:

If you want us to fully analyze your swing, you should post a video of your swing but only wearing your fruit of the looms and golf shoes of course (socks are optional) ... so we can evaluate your body type and also see what else is anatomically deficient .... ;)

Last edited:
If you want us to fully analyze your swing, you should post a video of your swing but only wearing your fruit of the looms and golf shoes of course (socks are optional) ... so we can evaluate your body type and also see what else is anatomically deficient .... ;)

Do you have a mouse in your pocket? I for one do not need to see that:confused:. Unless, of course, Paula Creamer or Natalie Gulbis wants to post their swings:p.

But, Dan should start his own thread if he wants better responses.

When I'm hitting it off the toe, I can usually fix it by feeling like I'm dragging the clubhead into impact. Path issues for me. Sometimes I do get a couple of inches away from the ball causing me to hit it off the toe.

I didn't want any responses, just dangling a carrot in front of Steve. Figured he would want to fire some smart azz comments and such. I take no offense to his ramblings unlike most folks here. The OP and I have something in common unfortunately. I was kind of encouraging him to post some video of his swing. My swing is inconsistent and it is frustrating.

-Dan

Burner

New
Burner ... how can you say that without knowing what the guy looks like ... you're only guessing and to suggest he will be "hitting the ball better" is misleading ...!!!

My offering, humble as it is in comparison to anything you might yet grace us with, was headed thus,

"Hard to say without seeing you but......................"

I also suggest that he "should - not 'would", therefore, be able to hit the ball better whilst working out the fundamentals of his problem.

And, by his own admission, he isn't likely to hit it worse. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I didn't want any responses, just dangling a carrot in front of Steve. Figured he would want to fire some smart azz comments and such. I take no offense to his ramblings unlike most folks here. The OP and I have something in common unfortunately. I was kind of encouraging him to post some video of his swing. My swing is inconsistent and it is frustrating.

-Dan

Ah, gotcha.

Have you worked on the Never Slice Again swivel?

Saw the video, but have not tried it yet. Might have to watch it again. The twistaway bit was sort of unusual to me. But the wife was talking, blah, blah, blah, tv was on, etc.. I need to watch the video again before taking it to the range. I was interested in the wedding ring up bit on the follow through. That may be helpful to me. Time will tell.

-Dan

Saw the video, but have not tried it yet. Might have to watch it again. The twistaway bit was sort of unusual to me. But the wife was talking, blah, blah, blah, tv was on, etc.. I need to watch the video again before taking it to the range. I was interested in the wedding ring up bit on the follow through. That may be helpful to me. Time will tell.

-Dan

Ya, you may not need the twistaway, but imo definitely need to get to the wedding ring up and fold the left elbow with the point down in the follow through. Also learn the Manzella neutral grip. Hope the OP doesn't mind the thread jack. Judging from your video, you will probably start hitting a lot of pulls because it looks as if you are over the top at the transition. Don't worry, I've been there and that can be controlled as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.