toe hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale47

New
Hi guys,
We've had a small break in the weather here in Pa.,so I used the oppurtunity to get to the range and hit a few bucket of balls. To my dismay, I found my old memisis with the driver to be alive and well. I have this habit of pulling my arms closer to me on the downswing causing me to hit most drives off the toe. Any suggestions appreciated!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by dale47

dead pulls Brian.

This is WHY you are NOT hitting the inside back corner of the ball because with a pull you are hitting the OUTSIDE BACK CORNER OR JUST THE BACK OF THE BALL.

So you're hitting the ball with a square or even closed clubface and then after separation where is the ball going to go? DEAD LEFT (pull)

This is why if you hit the INSIDE BACK CORNER this is IMPOSSIBLE because of where you hit it. It isn't impossible for it to go left but it will first go RIGHT! So instead of a pull you'd hit a hook.

To get an idea of hitting the INSIDE corner of the ball do this:

Setup with a normal stance with a wedge and pull your right foot about 2 feet behind your left foot. Now hit small chips and pitches direction to the RIGHT of your intended target. And i'm talking like 10 yard chips/pitches and try and get that divot that points to the RIGHT.

once you start to understand where that "inside" part is and hitting the ball out to the "right" that all good players "feel" start with bigger swings.

FOR A REFRESHER:

Read Brians "Don't hit at the target" instructional article and keep reading until it makes sense ok?

Then report back

Jim is right, I think for everyone start hitting ball, they should understand the different between
Impact and seperation point. Impact = club face open Seperation = square club face.

Dead pull could be another result of having an inside to inside swing path, but with a break wrist during the release.
Are you losing distance?

dale47

New
quote:Originally posted by oztrainee

Dead pull could be another result of having an inside to inside swing path, but with a break wrist during the release.
Are you losing distance?

No distance loss, if anything, maybe a half club extra distance with the pull. But I do hit the ball extremely high. I know I am adding loft, but due to a left wrist fracture that wasn't set properly as a kid, what I can make it do is limited.
Funny thing is that when I play for the pull,aiming down the right side of the fairway,I hit it dead strait[?]

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Of course you would...if you consistently pull the ball (meaning dead left of target) you can very well setup to the right of your target and "pull" it back to your target.

Both Snead and Goosen play like this.

dale47

New
quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

Of course you would...if you consistently pull the ball (meaning dead left of target) you can very well setup to the right of your target and "pull" it back to your target.

Both Snead and Goosen play like this.

I'm confusing you a bit Jim,I meant when I aim down the right side,it goes down the right side....no pull...strait with maybe a hint of a fade.I'd be in heaven if I pulled it back automaticaly when I aim left. I'd be getting incresed distance at no extra effort! On almost every shot I play for the pull...I hit it strait or a slight fade...a double cross.

So Dale,

You had mentioned the ball flight is high, and shot is going left, even thought if you are aiming right. So, stand a very good chance of checking your wrist action on impact, if there is a leakage on compression (scoop shot), the ball will going to the left and high. Your right elbow should push away from your body.

dale47

New
quote:Originally posted by oztrainee

So Dale,

You had mentioned the ball flight is high, and shot is going left, even thought if you are aiming right. So, stand a very good chance of checking your wrist action on impact, if there is a leakage on compression (scoop shot), the ball will going to the left and high. Your right elbow should push away from your body.

Towards the targetline ?

quote:Originally posted by dale47

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Great post Oz!

Yup Dale...you have throwaway. No doubt.
Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

I "had" toe hits consistently,...for me it was (per video) moving off the "tush-line" on the downswing (i.e., raising up and pulling the arms in toward my body). I focus on keeping my _ss "back" and swinging "well through" the ball from 7 to 11 o'clock (or inside back portion of the ball). Try it.

dale47

New
Twas a beautiful 60degrees here today,so off to the range I went. Focusing on striking the inside rear quadrant of the ball as my primary focus.
OH HELL YESSSSSS!!!!! It's been a while since I've heard that sound! I just mashed the hell out of them. I still have a heavy draw bias, maybe loosing my tush line, but I'll work on that next time. The other thing I was trying to do was keep my right wrist bent thru impact. Results were very good, next time out I'll work on tush line. Brian..Jim..everyone else...Thank You !

Status
Not open for further replies.