Toe Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the straight line along the toes the best reference for the horizontal alignment of the golfer? It has been pointed out in the past that the "heel line" is a more "accurate" representation of the alignment of the stance, since when the left foot is angled out, the toe line becomes slightly leftward of the heel line. But to me, the toe line offers an easy visual aid for the player to use to guide the straight line horizontal direction of the swing plane. Thoughts?

Kinda surprised at you asking this, Todd.

TBH - if I didn't know any better, I would have made the assumption that anyone asking that particular question didn't really understand impact geometry.

Surely though, all that matters is the consistency with which you line up - not the reference points that you use. For what it's worth, I agree that the toe line is more easily referenced than the heel line.

I use the shoulders personally because I have a tendancy to have my shoulders a little too open when aligning my feet first.

For me: shoulders then feet

Dariusz J.

Feet, as the only one two platforms connecting us with ground (luckily gravity is our friend) are designed to keep balance, mainly in the coronal plane. Direct alignment is not their job at all and that's why when I see modern swings with parallel feet in relation to the target I usually shake my head in disbelief.

Cheers

Kinda surprised at you asking this, Todd.

TBH - if I didn't know any better, I would have made the assumption that anyone asking that particular question didn't really understand impact geometry.

Surely though, all that matters is the consistency with which you line up - not the reference points that you use. For what it's worth, I agree that the toe line is more easily referenced than the heel line.

Just trying to stimulate some conversation. If you ask several different teachers what indicates body alignment, you'll likely get several different answers. What I am suggesting is that, if only one is to be chosen, the Toe Line makes the most sense. That's all.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Feet, as the only one two platforms connecting us with ground (luckily gravity is our friend) are designed to keep balance, mainly in the coronal plane. Direct alignment is not their job at all and that's why when I see modern swings with parallel feet in relation to the target I usually shake my head in disbelief.

Cheers

Really? I can shake my head in disbelief to your statement too; while feet may not be the source of alignment you do have to aim them somewhere and in most cases it will contribute to a certain swing tendency just as does shoulder alignment.

Both are important.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Nope. I do not have to aim them at all, I just have to seek the best scenario for keeping balance. No direct connotation of aiming anywhere unless we talk about the subconscious mind "aiming" at balance.

Cheers

Great! Then i want you to aim both your feet directly at your target and make a swing that slices or draws the ball 90* to your feet for every shot; maybe something similar to Caddy Shack 2. Have fun playing with that since you don't need to "aim your feet."

I usually refer to the feet's alignment as a "device" for getting the shoulders parallel(ish) to the target line. aka: Stand with your feet in whatever manner necessary in order to get the desired shoulder alignment (which I don't think always needs to be square, but do think that it highly correlates to horizontal plane).

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
C'mon Jim, you know the point he's trying to make. We see great ball strikers, all the time, aim their feet "non-parallel".

No, he is not and also i would like to note that i am not saying you have to line up parallel to anything; you can aim left/right with your feet and that will have some effect on your golf swing.

BUT

Dariusz clearly says in a follow up post: "Nope. I do not have to aim them at all, I just have to seek the best scenario for keeping balance. No direct connotation of aiming anywhere unless we talk about the subconscious mind "aiming" at balance."

----------------

That's why i made that ridiculous post, i want people to realize that while you don't have to aim your feet at your target you do have to aim them somewhere and in most cases depending on how you swing and where you end up aiming your feet (and shoulders/hips for that matter) it will have an effect on how you swing a golf club.

Dariusz J.

That's why i made that ridiculous post, i want people to realize that while you don't have to aim your feet at your target you do have to aim them somewhere and in most cases depending on how you swing and where you end up aiming your feet (and shoulders/hips for that matter) it will have an effect on how you swing a golf club.

Yes, but the point I tried to make is that feet, for anatomical reasons, will adjust their position to the goal that we aim at without any special attempt of aiming with them; I am against all these people who claim that the process of alignment should be started with feet which is not only biomechanically absurd but also can create a lot of problems (e.g. why do you think we have so many goat humpers nowadays ?).

Coronal Plane?

Drew

Coronal plane is one of three anatomical planes. Here is a link to my short article about the issue:

Biokinetic Golf Swing Theory: Balance in the Coronal Plane

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.