Tom Bartlett swings 1990-1994

Status
Not open for further replies.

timm

New
Is there any way to look at the video section that was on the old forum? I wanted to look at Tom Bartlett swing from above?

Timm

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Little Tom.

Here ya go Timm:

These four views are of Tom Bartlett. Tom has been a student of mine since 1986 when he was 14 years old. He was the youngest ever New Orleans City Champion and turned pro at 19. He played mini-tours and the Hooter's tour and made it through the first stage of the PGA Tour School twice. He hasn't played very much the last couple of years, but when he does, he still hits it BETTER than almost anyone I ever saw and certainly better than anyone I ever taught, which includes David Toms, Craig Perks, Mike Heinen and several other PGA and Nationwide Tour Players.

David Toms once said that if hitting a golf ball solid and far and hitting all sort of shots were all there was to the PGA Tour (which of course, it isn't), Tom would be a multi-million dollar winner.

The first series of swings are from 1990 or 1991, the last from Cypress Point in 1994.

Tom's swing is much better techincally now than way back when, but it was pretty good there too. And before you ask, Tom is working on his game and getting in shape and we will have some HD Footage of him, myself, and Mike Finney before years end.

TARGET VIEW

BELLY VIEW

OVERHEAD

DOWN THE DELIVERY LINE

AT CYPRESS POINT 1994

Last edited:
cypress 1994 observation...

Take a look at Tom's bent right wrist just prior to impact. That position appears to be maintained, or possibly increased coming into impact from the top. With this, his left wrist, and using the end of his glove as a reference point, it appears slightly arched coming into impact.

u da man...!

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
He plays a draw normally?

BTW I suspect the last one isn't Cypress Point.....?

Normally play a straight shot or a slight fade.

Believe it or not that is the sixteenth tee at Cypress. They were in the process of renovations so they had us hitting off of mats.:D

Wait a minute.....what the deuce....

The video has been different on this computer and my home one.....the first time I clicked on it it looked like it must've been "down the delivery line".....second time is blue shirt and Brian says "You hit it right where you're aiming." (something like that)

Can everyone else see it?

Build issues

Tom,

Do you think that your build pretty much mandates swinging on the TSP?

It looks to me that you establish PP#4 and maintain to impact. If I, with my super scrawny build do so, I shift to a hands only plane and make Furyk 's swing look roomy through impact.

Just wondering.

Scott

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
Tom,

Do you think that your build pretty much mandates swinging on the TSP?

It looks to me that you establish PP#4 and maintain to impact. If I, with my super scrawny build do so, I shift to a hands only plane and make Furyk 's swing look roomy through impact.

Just wondering.

Scott

No. I swing on the turned shoulder plane because I generate power with the arms and shoulders. I used to have a double shift, but as I got stronger I guess I started using them (arms and shoulders) instead of needing just my body. I had a thread on why do we swing on elbow or turned shoulder plane (will have to try and find it)

You should watch Michael Finney's swing and try to copy him. You two are built alike. Mike's left arm leaves his chest earlier in the downswing.

You should watch Michael Finney's swing and try to copy him. You two are built alike. Mike's left arm leaves his chest earlier in the downswing.
So even though MDF uses his arms less than you, his left arm actually leaves his chest earlier than yours? So the more arm strength you are using, the later your left arm leaves your chest?

Thanks.

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
So even though MDF uses his arms less than you, his left arm actually leaves his chest earlier than yours? So the more arm strength you are using, the later your left arm leaves your chest?

Thanks.

No. I was asked if my build mandates turned shoulder. I said, because I power my swing with my Shoulders and Arms primarily, that is why I believe I am on TSP. He then mentioned that he has no luck trying to keep number 4 pressure point late into the swing. So I then mentioned that he should watch MDF (IE, You can still hit the crap out of it without number 4 late into the swing)
Now when both arms reach straight (also effects when the left arm leaves chest) is a whole other theory of mine. I believe that both arms are straight when the shoulders and hips line up after impact. So, the more open the hips are at impact the further past impact both arms will straighten, and the longer you will have #4 into the downswing. I guess I didn't state it clearly the first time. Hope I did a better job with this.

Interesting videos, kind of reminds me of John Daly or Sam Snead with the inside takeaway and then then hands arcing back closer to the head at the top.

Brian or Tom, it appears that you have a lot of weight back on your heels. Is this on purpose? Taught by Brian or just a natural position for you.

Here ya go Timm:

These four views are of Tom Bartlett. Tom has been a student of mine since 1986 when he was 14 years old. He was the youngest ever New Orleans City Champion and turned pro at 19. He played mini-tours and the Hooter's tour and made it through the first stage of the PGA Tour School twice. He hasn't played very much the last couple of years, but when he does, he still hits it BETTER than almost anyone I ever saw and certainly better than anyone I ever taught, which includes David Toms, Craig Perks, Mike Heinen and several other PGA and Nationwide Tour Players.

David Toms once said that if hitting a golf ball solid and far and hitting all sort of shots were all there was to the PGA Tour (which of course, it isn't), Tom would be a multi-million dollar winner.

The first series of swings are from 1990 or 1991, the last from Cypress Point in 1994.

Tom's swing is much better techincally now than way back when, but it was pretty good there too. And before you ask, Tom is working on his game and getting in shape and we will have some HD Footage of him, myself, and Mike Finney before years end.

TARGET VIEW

BELLY VIEW

OVERHEAD

DOWN THE DELIVERY LINE

AT CYPRESS POINT 1994

Any news on these HD swings of Tom Bartlett. Would be great to see how he can swing it better than these but would be delighted to see his swing in HD.

I'm not Brian but to me that (Tom's swing) looks like a pretty sweet "soft fade".....no?

I think Tom said he was mostly playing a fade at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.