Trackman and Clubhead Speed Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
richie - did you get the ballspeed figures for each position? If this isn't a measurement issue, you should also be seeing 2.5 - 3 additional mph of ballspeed with the ball further forward, no?

Just off the top of my head, without attempting to do the maths, I would think that an acceleration giving an additional 2mph of clubhead speed in only an additional inch of clubhead arc (ie a tiny time interval) would have to be pretty hefty.

dbl

New
B-Shirly, on the contrary I remember some Mandrin analsyses which involved the simple input of torques or forces...for instance at early or mid points of the downswing. Those did not have to be nonhuman to change the velocity much...due to amplification (and levers) of the 'system.'

Some of the analyses covered when you remove said forces and torques, to get a maximum highest chs, rather than continuing them.

iow words, it's possible instead of an input of 20 pounds of force at shoulder height, he anticipated needing more for that forward ball and input 20.1 pounds. Or he took away his 20 pound forice/torque(s) at a better moment with that setup.

Last edited:
dbl - I agree. I think that, if there's a real gain of 2mph, then it must have come from a change in the sequencing of the application of force in the swing, not just the extension of the arc by 1 inch. I'd still like to know the ballspeeds though, since that's the fundamental measurement we should be interested in.

richie - did you get the ballspeed figures for each position? If this isn't a measurement issue, you should also be seeing 2.5 - 3 additional mph of ballspeed with the ball further forward, no?

Just off the top of my head, without attempting to do the maths, I would think that an acceleration giving an additional 2mph of clubhead speed in only an additional inch of clubhead arc (ie a tiny time interval) would have to be pretty hefty.

I was looking at smash factor. And the smash factor increased by about .02 to .03. But remember, my attack angle had shallowed out a bit which tends to help with the smash factor.

3JACK

Not sure if this has been answered, but at what point in the swing does trackman record the speed of the clubhead? (or whichever 'part' of the clubhead it measures)

If it measures speed at collision only (that being the trigger), then it might be the case that you have had more distance / space to accelarate to the collision and reach a higher speed @ impact. By having your ball further forward in your stance or positioned for collison at a 'later' point in the swing, this may allow for the accumilation of more accelaration and ultimately speed - in your swing.

This is assuming speed is measured at collison.

I would tend to disagree. Most people accelerate their swing from 0mph to about 100mph in a distance of about 150-175 inches (~6 feet (arm + shaft) x pi x ~0.75). On average you're gaining about 0.6 mph per inch and your acceleration probably speeds up moments before impact.

dbl - I agree. I think that, if there's a real gain of 2mph, then it must have come from a change in the sequencing of the application of force in the swing, not just the extension of the arc by 1 inch. I'd still like to know the ballspeeds though, since that's the fundamental measurement we should be interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.