Trackman Angle of Attack question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must clarify that I have never been on a trackman so my terminology may be lacking....

If you can hold all other variables constant (if that is even possible), how much distance is gained from "hitting up" vs. a "level" angle of attack with a driver? Is there also an economy of scale for hitting up? Is their a certain degree of hitting up all things being equal that you get diminishing returns?

For one that has suffered for years from "handle dragging" I think I tend to hit too up and not be able to introduce the upper part of the face to the ball rather hitting the driver "thin-ish" .... any advice for leveling out a driver path?

Driver optimization charts show 25 yards on average. That is going from -5 to +5. With corresponding spin and launch.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
On my lesson tee, the gain is approx 20 yards for a 2.5 degree down, 95 mph clubhead speed golfer to go to 2.5 up!!!

That's a bunch!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
pgatour.com

go to the stats...go to off the tee...go to radar stats...you will see everyone on tour and corresponding angle of attack. Plus stats like driving efficiency and carry efficiency, you can get a pretty good picture with those numbers.

DC/Brian - does that sort of adjustment feel like a MASSIVE change to the student's motion, or more the result of changes in set-up?

Are you seeing that sort of increase in yardage with the same driver - or does it factor in clubfitting optimisation too?

DC/Brian - does that sort of adjustment feel like a MASSIVE change to the student's motion, or more the result of changes in set-up?

Not DC/BM, but i can tell from experiences with pro's that it does feels like a massive change but mostly at post-impact. The real setup change itself can be rather small.

Are you seeing that sort of increase in yardage with the same driver - or does it factor in clubfitting optimisation too?

Depends on your driver in the first place. If it was optimized for the -2.5 then you need a new driver if you start hitting it 2.5 up. You need to keep the ball in it's optimized launch angle for it's speed and spin.

Last edited:
Didn't want to create a new thread so I dug this one up. What are some ways to increase your AoA with the driver? Would the "nesbit hub path" motion/release be one? Teeing the ball up higher. Any others?

I feel that a higher launch angle is WAY over-rated for OVERALL distance. More carry distance? Absolutely. But a lower land angle means more roll, under "normal" conditions. There is a tendency for the two to offset each other. And under really firm/fast conditions, a lower launch can yield the MOST overall distance. The #1 number you want for distance is BALL SPEED. I've stopped hitting up so much (+5, 15* launch). I'm probably pretty close to 0* AA right now, 11 or 12* launch. I don't feel like I'm losing anything.

If you change attack angle that much it is suggested to go down in loft on the club, with all others being equal.

Since this is only my third post, I know some will question my opinion which is fine. I work for a club fitting company and have used Trackman every day for the past year and have done over 200 fittings in that time. I have seen the results with my own eyes.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
If you change attack angle that much it is suggested to go down in loft on the club, with all others being equal.

Since this is only my third post, I know some will question my opinion which is fine. I work for a club fitting company and have used Trackman every day for the past year and have done over 200 fittings in that time. I have seen the results with my own eyes.

What exactly are you saying?

That you need less loft if you are hitting up?

What exactly are you saying?

That you need less loft if you are hitting up?

Not necessarily. For someone who doesn't realize the necessity of keeping the same dynamic loft to reduce the spin loft, then a lower loft would be needed. From a fitting business standpoint, it is an adjustment we (and many other fitting operations) have used. From a teaching perspective - yes, you should focus on making the fix that will improve the spin loft. I should have worded my response a little differently, my mistake.

What are some ways to increase your AoA with the driver? Would the "nesbit hub path" motion/release be one? Teeing the ball up higher. Any others?

1. Moving ball forward at address can help (i.e.hit it off front foot)...hard to hit up if ball is only half way between your feet.
2. If hitting up on ball, then lowpoint needs to be before ball...Knowing and thinking about this helps me hit ball on the up...
3. Spine tilt (away/behind ball) at address...

Don't forget to aim right when making the adjustment to hit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.