Trackman lesson w/ Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwat

New
Just wanted to let everyone know how my 3rd lesson w/ Brian went a couple of weeks ago. First off let me start out by saying that anyone who is knocking trackman is either an idiot that hasn't had a lesson off of Trackman or had a mediocre instructor that is more worried about a method then teaching. A little background on me, up until this last year I have been a lesson junkie getting lessons from top instructors at both Hank Haney school and Butch Harmon school. Butch even spent some time on my swing. Lets just say every lesson with Haney group was 2D video comparing my swing to Tiger's and with Butch comparing my swing to Adam Scott. I am sorry but at 5'10 200 pounds I am built no where close to either. I am an ex Div I baseball player that is built like a linebacker. So for you seasoned golf swing veterans I don't even have to explain what each teacher was trying to teach me because you already know. Everyone knows because it is the same for everyone, just like my golf pro at home. There is zero difference.

Anyways, so I meet with Brian and we immediately start working on Trackman. Some of my numbers with a 6 iron initially were 6-9deg swing to the right, 3-6deg closed clubface, 93mph swing speed. After about 3 swings he gets me swinging more to the left and 2 hours later not 1 swing path to the right. My closed clubface has been a result of a season of doing the twistaway. Although I am not doing it consciously anymore it still naturally moves that way. So this is where it gets important:
Instead of Brian automatically wanting to mess with my hands, wrists, etc to fix my clubface. He gets me to start dropping my hands more at the start of the backswing and really slowing my swing down. The result was a totally zeroed out swing. This time i was really able to take home what I had learned and turn it into instant results. And the reason is because of Trackman. Now I don't want to take anything away from Brian because he is by far the best teacher I have ever seen and without him doing the lesson it wouldn't have been such a success. But I am telling you guys that having 2 previous lessons with Brian w/out trackman and now having Brian w/ trackman is two totally different lessons. Brian also moved my ball position forward on my driver out past my left foot and had me tee it higher so I was hitting up on the ball. The result is I have played 4 rounds since then and have been avg well over 300 yard drives drawing and fading at will. And the reason why is I understand now how to generate more of a draw swing and fade swing from Trackman.

So guys, if you are serious about golf this year, instead of spending countless hours on the range and forum. Save your money and get 1 lesson w/ Brian or the other instructors here on Trackman and I promise you won't be disappointed. I guess I just get so tired of everyone being so negatively opinionated on Trackman and Brian's views on the swing and instruction when you haven't even tried to fix it the right way. Quit researching all over the internet for solutions and get a lesson or don't and continue to not achieve your personal goals for this game.

Jwat

New
Can you describe how you are drawing and fading your drives?

After seeing how far to the right I was swinging from TM, I was able to adjust and do a little bit more of a carry to get my swing path to zero. Once I saw what zero was with my swing which was a high straight ball flight, for me all I had to do was do a little bit more of a carry or swing more left to fade the ball. To hit a draw, I personally just have to get a bigger turn on my backswing or what I perceive is a big turn.

What were your scores for the 4 rounds?

3 in the high 70's, 1 was an 81
My chipping right now is costing me quite a few strokes. Traditionally one of the more consistent parts of my game. Just need to commit to some true practice time.

Brian also moved my ball position forward on my driver out past my left foot and had me tee it higher so I was hitting up on the ball.

I've been thinking about moving the ball much more forward in my stance to promote an upward strike with the driver. Were there any other adjustments in your swing that he advised to go with this forward ball position?

Jwat

New
I've been thinking about moving the ball much more forward in my stance to promote an upward strike with the driver. Were there any other adjustments in your swing that he advised to go with this forward ball position?

Yes, absolutley. I had to really go get the ball with my right side. We kept working on my right shoulder finishing pointing towards the target. But for me personally. If I get a big enough shoulder turn on the backswing, then I have no other way but to go get the ball way out front. So I guess that would be my main focus is the big turn on the backswing. I am telling you this has really created more consistant ball flight and direction. With the ball this forward it resulted in ZERO pulls. I did have the occasional push if I didn't get a full turn on my backswing.

"...dropping my hands more at the start of the backswing..."

Can you expound on this a bit?

I forget which video where Brian discusses this. But it is just the basic gravity drop with my hands initiating the downswing instead of my body. With how extremly fast my hands are, my body before could never catch up which resulted in all sorts of clubface and path problems. I just didn't realize how when I felt like I was swinging 75% my speed was 93mph and when I felt like i was swinging 40-50% my swing speed was like 87mph. So TM showed me that the feeling of a halfswing (full backswing), was really only slightly lowering my swing speed. Now I can see how these guys swing effortlessly and hit it a mile. Because when you extremly slow down your swing whats real is only a moderate decrease but what you feel is totally different.

I think the point is that you are said "start of backswing", when we think you actually meant "at the start of the downswing".

So TM showed me that the feeling of a halfswing (full backswing), was really only slightly lowering my swing speed. Now I can see how these guys swing effortlessly and hit it a mile. Because when you extremly slow down your swing whats real is only a moderate decrease but what you feel is totally different.

I think I'm starting to understand this more and more. Good info, thanks Jwat.

ZAP

New
Posts like this have me saving up for a road trip to Louisville. Or maybe just s short one to Ann Arbor?

Yes, absolutley. I had to really go get the ball with my right side. We kept working on my right shoulder finishing pointing towards the target. But for me personally. If I get a big enough shoulder turn on the backswing, then I have no other way but to go get the ball way out front. So I guess that would be my main focus is the big turn on the backswing. I am telling you this has really created more consistant ball flight and direction. With the ball this forward it resulted in ZERO pulls. I did have the occasional push if I didn't get a full turn on my backswing.

I got a chance to get out on the brown grass here in MI today and try this and let me tell you, it was something to see. A really good drive for me is normally in the 250-260 carry range (with a Trackman confirmed slightly negative AofA) and today it was closer to 270-280 of carry. Unfortunately, I had a pull going with it. I have been making progress with a closed clubface problem, but this pull wasn't like my "normal" closed clubface pull as the ball flight was nice and high and it didn't really have much hooking action to it, just a straight pull. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than I of the D-Plane can comment on what I might be doing. I'm wondering if by having the ball that far forward in my stance I have shifted the plane in such a manner that will require a change of some variety to make a compensation. Regardless, I'll be trying what you did, jwat, and drive my right shoulder to the target. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow.

I worked with Brian on this exact thing. He had me widen my stance and drop my right (back) foot in order to shallow out the swing, making it easier to swing up. You definitely will increase your distance!

Good Luck.

I got a chance to get out on the brown grass here in MI today and try this and let me tell you, it was something to see. A really good drive for me is normally in the 250-260 carry range (with a Trackman confirmed slightly negative AofA) and today it was closer to 270-280 of carry. Unfortunately, I had a pull going with it. I have been making progress with a closed clubface problem, but this pull wasn't like my "normal" closed clubface pull as the ball flight was nice and high and it didn't really have much hooking action to it, just a straight pull. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than I of the D-Plane can comment on what I might be doing. I'm wondering if by having the ball that far forward in my stance I have shifted the plane in such a manner that will require a change of some variety to make a compensation. Regardless, I'll be trying what you did, jwat, and drive my right shoulder to the target. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow.

Aim right and Kill It!! :)

Seriously though, I went to the range a couple of days ago, with the d-plane/trackman stuff in my head and did just that: aimed at the right upright and swung it. Driver split the uprights.

After seeing how far to the right I was swinging from TM, I was able to adjust and do a little bit more of a carry to get my swing path to zero. Once I saw what zero was with my swing which was a high straight ball flight, for me all I had to do was do a little bit more of a carry or swing more left to fade the ball. To hit a draw, I personally just have to get a bigger turn on my backswing or what I perceive is a big turn.

3 in the high 70's, 1 was an 81
My chipping right now is costing me quite a few strokes. Traditionally one of the more consistent parts of my game. Just need to commit to some true practice time.

Is the "carry" move more an arms thing or is it done with the rotation of the body? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.