trailing elbow bend and the free throw toss out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to incorporate the free throw toss to start the downswing. Now, when I shoot a free throw, I toss mostly with the elbow with a bit of wrist flexion. Two questions: how much should the trailing elbow (right) be bent at the top of the swing? I was taught not to go past 90*. But I feel I can do the toss out a bit better if I flex the right elbow joint past 90*. Which brings me to the second question. Should the toss out be with the elbow at all, or just with the wrist?

Thanks in advance.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Here are the TPI ranges for right arm bend:

AT THE TOP: 57° flexed - 74° flexed

HALFWAY DOWN: 103° flexed - 120° flexed

The right wrist bend numbers for the same segment are basically the same from the top to half-way down.

But some folks that have tried to main the right wrist bend at the top—all the way to impact—need to feel the straightening early.

The right wrist loses from more than HALF of its top of the backswing bend (remember, very much the same at halfway down) to more than 3/4th of it by impact!!

The right wrist bend numbers for the same segment are basically the same from the top to half-way down.

But some folks that have tried to main the right wrist bend at the top—all the way to impact—need to feel the straightening early.

The right wrist loses from more than HALF of its top of the backswing bend (remember, very much the same at halfway down) to more than 3/4th of it by impact!!

Do those cats say anything about the "rotation" of the right forearm? all that karate chop vs. paddlewheel stuff?

Just saw this and have been trying to work on it myself to get to impact with more rear elbow bend because of releasing too early. I'm liking the freedom to let the club release and not "hold on", but am just releasing too early with little to no right elbow bend into impact. In order to increase the right elbow flexion into the downswing, the elbow has to get at least to and more likely in front of the right hip bone in the downswing. The rear wrist needs to extend to allow this and from Kevin's student's success, to get the club face in a good position, get the palm down(pronate) at the same time. This sounds good, the problem is actually executing it. I'm finding my hips need to get out of the way, though.

Last edited:
Sliding perhaps for the long right arm?

For me, yep. Revisiting the Snead/Ben Doyle squat/sheepdog and looking at Sadlowski from behind doing it perfectly:

Jamie Sadlowski Back full 2009 - YouTube

I think I have figured out the hip and leg motions necessary to get this turn-not as powerful as Sadlowski, though not many other people can either-, just have to do some work on it. Good view of his rear elbow and wrist motion starting the downswiing as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.