Tumble-felt it for 1st time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcoak

New
Hit balls and concentrated at first on getting bottom of grip past top and hit real good with short clubs. As I went to longer clubs it was harder. Concentrated on that Noren tumble over move ( and the tiger move on here) and I could feel the club head tumble out and down and striped it. Problem is I do not understand why it works. It seems counter intuitive. What does it do? I need to understand so I can trust it and use it on the course

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Counter intuitive how, if I may ask? Do you feel it should work the other way? The clubface needs turned out to the ball and get past the top of the grip.

bcoak

New
Spent m,y whole life trying to swing out. Having the club come out and over seems very odd...like I would hit it dead left

If you were like me and got real steep in transition and had to roll the hands over to square the clubface before learning to tumble, then I can see how it would seem different--not really counter intuitive, though. Learning to set up the tumble (letting the club/hands fall behind at the transition) and then tumble throughout the downswing has been a much better way to square the club face for me as well as being able to stay "on top" of the shaft without getting too steep. I have to remember to bend the left wrist not roll the hands into the release, though or it's left city.

I have been working on the tumble as well lately as I typically get under plane, high left hand.

Question though, I understand what the difference is between tumble and carry, BUT which one is typically better for under planers. It seems it use to be more "carry" on this site and then a switch to "tumble" the last year or so. OR am I not understanding each well enough and getting confused as to what they are?

I'm starting to think you can carry the club and tumble it, I realize all swings have tumble at some point in order to hit the ball, so maybe I/was confused.

I still struggle with the feeling. It's going to take a lot of time to really just get it dialed. But it sure beats the hell out of getting under it and hitting flairs and snappers, right?

I'm starting to think you can carry the club and tumble it, I realize all swings have tumble at some point in order to hit the ball, so maybe I/was confused.

Plenty of guys do it. It helps them reverse tumble so that they can tumble later.

From my experience, a player that can't feel tumble is sometimes attributable to a club that is in a position on the DS where pure tumbling won't help them, like inside and steep.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I have been working on the tumble as well lately as I typically get under plane, high left hand.

Question though, I understand what the difference is between tumble and carry, BUT which one is typically better for under planers. It seems it use to be more "carry" on this site and then a switch to "tumble" the last year or so. OR am I not understanding each well enough and getting confused as to what they are?

Carry helps move low point but won't do anything to get he club out and over the hands

It's surprising how it does feel like it shouldn't work, especially if you have been doing the opposite. I to have felt that when I tumble well, it feels like the ball would go dead left, except it's actually really hard to hit it left...

I'm on the final leg of recovering from near 'walking away from golf' short game issues and the final segment of this is avoiding a flail like transition on short pitches

What I thought of as a little bit of 'lag' was actually a mini hands first/left hand pop out toward the ball underplane move. I'm practicing the Noren drill and a mini version of it for short pitches.

My previous "lag/underplane" move got the coupling point path so steep yipping was actually my brain being as smart as it could be to get to the ball with a back up and flip move.

Everyone know tumble happens in the golf swing, but I'd never felt it on its own as a drill before. Just another one to add to the list of when it is best for the individual to do it. As always some need to feel it early/mid/late.....What ever makes the ball do the right thing :)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Great post Welsh, you are correct in saying it actually makes it harder to go left because the result is less need to rotate the face and it also straightens out your path.

Erik_K

New
If you were like me and got real steep in transition and had to roll the hands over to square the clubface before learning to tumble, then I can see how it would seem different--not really counter intuitive, though. Learning to set up the tumble (letting the club/hands fall behind at the transition) and then tumble throughout the downswing has been a much better way to square the club face for me as well as being able to stay "on top" of the shaft without getting too steep. I have to remember to bend the left wrist not roll the hands into the release, though or it's left city.

Spktho -

Your statement, "letting the club/hands fall behind at the transition," do you mean this is the out toss move?

What you describe in your post seems to be what do as well. The shaft is most certainly steep on the DS. I, currently, have a lot of forearm roll through impact but would like to lessen that greatly.

Erik

IMO, If you want to feel tumble, take the club back until your arms are at 9 o'clock and the butt of the club is pointing slightly above the ball. Now hit a 50 yard shot.

If you want to feel a high handle drag, do the same drill but point the club at your toes.

Spktho -

Your statement, "letting the club/hands fall behind at the transition," do you mean this is the out toss move?

What you describe in your post seems to be what do as well. The shaft is most certainly steep on the DS. I, currently, have a lot of forearm roll through impact but would like to lessen that greatly.

Erik

Letting the club and hands fall behind me is what I am literally trying to feel. I guess it could take the place of an out toss move, but I don't think of it that way. My only out toss move is to get the hands moving before the body pivot goes. Right now I actually like the feel of the club kind of 'jacknifing' with hands and club falling behind me. As shown in the other thread, I try to do this from the transition down (I'm not even close to what Sam Cyr does, though)

Last edited:

rcw

New
Is it necessary to try to tumble with the driver? Feels easy with the irons but seems like would slow speed with driver and woods...

Sam you are a tremendous player...good luck on the tours you play!

I don't think spktho is the guy in the video. But I could be wrong.

I'm definitely not in the same league as Sam Cyr...sorry for the confusion

Is it necessary to try to tumble with the driver? Feels easy with the irons but seems like would slow speed with driver and woods...

It's easier for me to feel the tumble with the driver. It took longer to get that feel with the driver though. I get the same or maybe a little more club head speed with a lot less effort trying to do what Sam Cyr does in his transition and down swing. It does take some more patience in the transition and downswing with the driver which was the hardest thing for me to overcome. It's still a work in progress and has taken a while for me to "get it", but it has helped and I will continue with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.