Turning head before impact ala annika..Valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been intrigued about annikas head movement..she is one of the best golfers period..is it a valid thing to try to incorporate into my swing..or will it do harm...what's your verdict..my golfing comrades..:D

tank

New
I don't think she turns her head until a split second after impact. But on the downswing she appears to be focused on a spot in front of her left toe ... maybe she is right eye dominant.

i believe it is a very good to implement into your swing. many people hear 'keep your head down' and keep it down well past impact, and i believe this causes throwaway. if the head keeps turning, the body keeps turning, making sure body leads arms, arms lead hands, hands lead club. the only problem it might lead to is coming out of the shot, but other than that, if you can do it properly, i say do it

For most amateurs I think it would be a mistake, as they come out of it too early anyway (slice)....
Keeping your eyes focussed downwards longer produces a natural turning over of the hands/arms, thus helping prevent the slice...
They need to do that first, to get the correct feeling of release, before messing with early head rotation....

Dariusz J.

I don't think she turns her head until a split second after impact. But on the downswing she appears to be focused on a spot in front of her left toe ... maybe she is right eye dominant.

...rather LEFT eye dominant :)

Cheers

Although I don't have much of that early rotation prior to impact in my action (Annika's head does rotate down her target line, prior to impact BTW), I'm a big fan of rotating the head out of the shot. My first lesson with George Knudson, 30 years ago, was along those lines. He hated the "head down" mantra of all hackers.

If the ball goes right....fix the assembly so it doesn't!

I've preached this for years: Most adults learning the game don't have the flexibility to "keep their head down" and sustain reasonable impact conditions and should learn to rotate their heads on all shots starting with the pitch shots. Know where your hands are going, who cares what your eyes see....

Chops all associate missed shots with their head coming up?? Amazing. Not too long ago it was thought the Earth was flat and if you sailed out to far.....

Last edited:
Annika isn't the only pro that does this. If memory serves, David Duval did this during the time that he was #1 in the world. It really does help to get over to the front leg on the downswing and preventing hanging back on the rear leg.
Didn't Tom Tomasello advocate trying to follow the ball with the eyes during impact and during the follow thru, thus rotating the head down the target line?

tank

New
...rather LEFT eye dominant :)

Cheers

No no. Jack Nicklaus is left eye dominant, and he cocked his head to the right in order to see the ball with his left eye.

Anika appears to cock her head to the left, presumeably to see the ball through her right eye.

Hope that makes sense.

It is obviously valid, look at her record. Is it right for you? Only you, a golf club, and a bucket of balls can made that decision.

Annika isn't the only pro that does this. If memory serves, David Duval did this during the time that he was #1 in the world. It really does help to get over to the front leg on the downswing and preventing hanging back on the rear leg.
Didn't Tom Tomasello advocate trying to follow the ball with the eyes during impact and during the follow thru, thus rotating the head down the target line?

Henrick Stenson does it too....

Although I don't have much of that early rotation prior to impact in my action (Annika's head does rotate down her target line, prior to impact BTW), I'm a big fan of rotating the head out of the shot. My first lesson with George Knudson, 30 years ago, was along those lines. He hated the "head down" mantra of all hackers.

If the ball goes right....fix the assembly so it doesn't!

I've preached this for years: Most adults learning the game don't have the flexibility to "keep their head down" and sustain reasonable impact conditions and should learn to rotate their heads on all shots starting with the pitch shots. Know where your hands are going, who cares what your eyes see....

Chops all associate missed shots with their head coming up?? Amazing. Not too long ago it was thought the Earth was flat and if you sailed out to far.....

cm,
That's OK if you can do it without everything coming up too early....most people can't...

Puttmad,

The only reason people come up too early is they are:

1. trying to elevate the ball (get under it) and are tired of hitting a foot behind it. Thus, they make room for their poor/early lever length and have to lift up their torso to time the flip. Those dry cleaning bills get expensive. Trust me, I know, as I played a lot of golf this way when I was a youngster and scored pretty well too.

2. The clubface is open and they have to somehow try and not hit it right of right, so they cast it/get long to fast and don't want to hit it fat (dry cleaning bills!!) and create room/raise up.

If you are hitting down plane, you won't come up too early. Very few golfers (percentage wise) hit down and take a divot on the target side of the ball. Maybe 1% consistently.

I'd love to someone to explain if this isn't the case or add to the list.

Last edited:
It is obviously valid, look at her record. Is it right for you? Only you, a golf club, and a bucket of balls can made that decision.

Exactly.

And to me.....there are other things you could probably worry about that influence what the club is doing much much more.

If not then Brian or another MAI can feel free to correct me if they post.

Dariusz J.

No no. Jack Nicklaus is left eye dominant, and he cocked his head to the right in order to see the ball with his left eye.

Anika appears to cock her head to the left, presumeably to see the ball through her right eye.

Hope that makes sense.

Yep, my bad. Don't know why, when writing my post I visualized Annika doing the same as Jack did.

Cheers

bcoak

New
Head is a key controller of body movement. When you turn do you start with your feet or your head?

Head is a key controller of body movement. When you turn do you start with your feet or your head?

sorry but i disagree. the head has almost no controll of body motion at all. david duval and annika keep their head on their left shoulder on the downswing, and lee westwood and kj choi keep their head down well past impact. makes no difference. and to answer your question, you start your rotation, you start from the ground up, hence, you start with feet, rolling or planting, then the knees, then hips, shoulders, then the arms and club follow

bcoak

New
sorry but i disagree. the head has almost no controll of body motion at all. david duval and annika keep their head on their left shoulder on the downswing, and lee westwood and kj choi keep their head down well past impact. makes no difference. and to answer your question, you start your rotation, you start from the ground up, hence, you start with feet, rolling or planting, then the knees, then hips, shoulders, then the arms and club follow

No control of body motion? Then how come I can take a person down by just grabbing their head? Head has a huge influence on motion. What do your inner ears do? Where are they? How about your eyes?

Very true.....but I can also touch my chin to my chest or turn it 90 degrees in either direction or look up or down......without really moving my body at all.

The question that comes to my mind is what's the BEST way to get yourself or someone to perform the motion you want...? (or to stop another unwanted motion from occuring)

Maybe Brian can chime in with his experience when he gets a chance.

Last edited:
i just feel that, like birdie man says, i can move my head loads independently from my body, so how can it effect my body motion. i know there are the inner ears and you eyes for balance, but these are correctional, not controlling factors. i belive you can rotate enough and shift enough while letting your head come up/move/shift/turn/or anything you want it to

Well in the backswing it's also the same..the head has to move back in order for you to turn on your swing center..if the head didn't move back you would probably still be mostly on the left side during backswing..just something to think about

Status
Not open for further replies.