Twistaway, Hand Path, and Impact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately, I've been focusing a little on Twistaway, or at the very least, "twisting" a little on the way down, to ensure that I close the clubface. My misses with my irons have tended to be what I would call an "over-carried" slice, where I attempt to use my body to square the face a little, instead of twisting or rotating the hands/forearm into the ball. Hence my focus on Twistaway.

However, I've noticed that contact on some shots has been a little "thin" feeling, almost as if I'm "losing some of the down" through impact. Also, when I really focus on "holding the twist" as Brian outlines in NSA, contact can feel a little off-center sometimes as well, or simply not as solid as I'm accustomed to.

In light of these observatoins, I had a few questions: 1) Is focusing so much on "holding the twist" typically going to alter my hand path to be "lower" and more inside, and not out as much toward the ball and steep, all things being equal? 2) If my clubs are fairly upright (around 3+ degrees, assuming "standard" 5-iron is 60 degrees), how will "holding the twist" into impact affect lie angle's effect on my shot? IE, will a "holding the twist" move necesitate a lie angle that is flatter or more upright, all things being equal? Finally, does twistaway tend to shallow out the path into the ball significantly, causing me to feel as though I'm "losing some of the down" as I mentioned earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.