twistaway move

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2 part question regarding Brian's twistaway move. Is this just the same as bending back right wrist along the plane of the right forearm ala Yoda? Is there an ideal timing for this move?

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by Ripper

I have a 2 part question regarding Brian's twistaway move. Is this just the same as bending back right wrist along the plane of the right forearm ala Yoda? Is there an ideal timing for this move?

Regarding the first question,for me personally the answer is no.Utillising Brian's twistaway,my right wrist only bends back marginally at maximum twist(about 30 deg).In other words,very little wrist cock on the backstroke,just like Trevino.If i just bend back my right wrist i can get it back almost 45 deg.Two totally different feel but i get much better results with the twistaway.Less wrist movement,better control.

As for your second question,like everything else in your swing,it should be done gradually and not abruptly in accordance with your own natural rhythm.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The "Manzella Twist-Away" has two distinct reasons for being.

One is to assure a flat or arched left wrist....

What is the other?

quote:Originally posted by brianman

What is the other?

To deliver a clubface that is square to the swingpath at impact (or at separation to be more precise).

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

What is the other?
Extensor action...no slack on the backstroke?

My understanding is that it stops the clubface from getting to open (toe up)at the top, thereby making it much easier to square it up on the down swing.

SOS

New
quote:Originally posted by cdog

Stays 90 degrees to the plane.

From Brian's article I can see why you would say that, but how does the clubface stay 90* to the plane when at the top, most pros "appear" either on, or parrallel?

SOS

Brian - twistaway is easy to understand in horizontal plane but how can I make sure I'm doing it properly in the backswing plane. Is it just as simple as bending wrist back along the plane of the right forearm takeaway?

cdog

New
Ripper, i put a shaft on the ground, and use either another shaft or a club and simply do lots of reps from parallel to parallel. I start with very small takeaways and graduly work bigger, on the downstroke part take the wedge assembly to impact checking the alignments.
Cheap lasers work good as does a simple flashlight.
As i build to faster swings i use a freddy connect and can see my plane line and my clubfact alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.