Two questions on drawing the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys/Gals
Two questions on which I would like to hear your thoughts.
Scenarios:

Golfer One aims right of the flag and the ball starts straight and draws to the flag.
Golfer Two aims at the flag and the ball starts right and draws to the flag.

Q1…. Are both ball flights simply considered draws?
Q2…..Is one approach considered better, or more representative of skill, than the other?

dbl

New
Your scenarios are "impossible." When you say "Golfer One aims right of the flag" just what are you implying is "aimed." I think by the question you probably mean something about path. But as face is 85% contributory to the initial direction for the ball flight...then I think you ought to rewrite your scenarios using Dplane principles and then ask your questions. I'll take a stab at this, but I may have misread your intentions...

Golfer A aims his target line and path to the right of the green, and the ball starts out slightly right of the green and draws to the flag.

Golfer B aims his target line at the flag, but in the downswing manipulates the path to the right of the green and draws the ball to the flag.

As to you questions, both are draws. But imo Golfer B has an inferior technique though possibly he is highly skilled to pull it off!

dbl,
Thanks for the reply. By aim I mean that golfer(A) sets up parallel left of a line from the ball to somewhere right of the green; and golfer(B) sets up parallel left of a line from the ball to the flag. Both create draw to the flag.
A very popular golf guru asserts that golfer(A) is a stage two golfer, stage one is a slicer. And golfer (B) is a stage 3 golfer(tour level technique

Does it really matter where you are aiming your body??... the ball dont care!! The ball only cares about the true path of the clubhead and the direction of the face is pointing. As long as you can control that (with a good pivot) everything else is gravy.

I think what the "guru" is getting at is that golfer A swing is slightly OTT with a more closed face, where as the golfer B is hitting an open face draw with the path slightly more into out than the face is open.

I think what the "guru" is getting at is that golfer A swing is slightly OTT with a more closed face, where as the golfer B is hitting an open face draw with the path slightly more into out than the face is open.

Ah ha!! The lights are coming on for me. Thanks Matt!!

dbl

New
Actually I don't see why Golfer A is accused of swinging OTT. His path can be entirely consistent with his initial target line he was lined up on (right of the green) and be non-OTT, then have the clubface closed to that line.

I know some golfers with OTT, and the better ones aim way right just to have the ball start straight (because they "screw up" the path but get the face square to the line to the flag).

Actually I don't see why Golfer A is accused of swinging OTT. His path can be entirely consistent with his initial target line he was lined up on (right of the green) and be non-OTT, then have the clubface closed to that line.

I know some golfers with OTT, and the better ones aim way right just to have the ball start straight (because they "screw up" the path but get the face square to the line to the flag).

Your right, there are tons of different scenarios because aiming right of the target is ambiguous, I was just trying to interpret what the "guru" was trying to say....What I think the "guru" is saying is that the push draw is more consistent with a pro style player.

westy

New
Guys/Gals
Two questions on which I would like to hear your thoughts.
Scenarios:

Golfer One aims right of the flag and the ball starts straight and draws to the flag.
Golfer Two aims at the flag and the ball starts right and draws to the flag.

Q1…. Are both ball flights simply considered draws?
Q2…..Is one approach considered better, or more representative of skill, than the other?
Who cares about aim.....!
If both flights are the same and the ball is struck in the same place on the face, the impact conditions are the same.
How you get there is a matter of preference, or pattern, whatever works, the most often....!

Your right, there are tons of different scenarios because aiming right of the target is ambiguous, I was just trying to interpret what the "guru" was trying to say....What I think the "guru" is saying is that the push draw is more consistent with a pro style player.

Matt,
I believe you are absolutely correct on what the “guru” was representing. He did not however say why he differentiated one approach (your push-draw reference) as superior- hence my questions. And is the converse then true? That the golfer that does not ‘push-draw’ and executes fades by using the ‘exact same plane line’, needing only to adjust the face, is ‘for what reason’ inferior to a golfer that selects to ‘push-cut’ the ball?

So you are right about what is being asserted. I just do not know why that would be the case. And of course it does not have to be true.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Are they high draws or low draws? Is the push draw from underplane or just inside out? Both moving the same amount in the air? Same grip on each player? Can both fade the ball on demand?

With no other info, id take the straight draw over the push draw any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.