up vs around component

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to be sure you have the correct balance of up and around?
I struggle if I get too upright and at times feel very "flat" Any drills or advice?

I struggle if I get too upright and at times feel very "flat" Any drills or advice?

A good rule of thumb whatever you're trying to do is to make sure your clubhead looks like it's going straight back for the first 12 inches of your takeaway.

Post some photos for us to look at.

Some thoughts

One swing thought I always liked was....always keep your hands inside the clubhead on the way to the top.

I struggle if I get too upright and at times feel very "flat"

Not sure what this means.........

to 2mongoose....I feel as if I have to spin out to get to impact
resulting in a low trajectory and right shot. This is my bad shot.

rwh

New
Basically, the arms provide the "up"; the pivot provides the "around".

Stand straight up facing a wall, everything parallel to the wall. Let your arms hang in front of you with your hands together in a golf grip. Now raise your "inert" left arm by bending the right arm at the elbow. DO NOT LET YOUR SHOULDERS MOVE. Your right hand is now directly opposite your right shoulder and your left arm is has been moved up and to the right. You pretty much cannot get your arms to go any more "around" (i.e., behind) you, without letting your shoulders pivot to the right.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
DRILL #4568

1. Get an 8-iron.
  2. Make a divot.
  3. Set up at the front edge of the divot.
  4. Grip it with both hands.
  5. Let go of your left hand grip.
  6. Make a right arm only swing, fairly slowly, trying to hit the front edge of the divot.
  7. Repeat.

Essentially, what you are doing here, is training your right arm to make a correct motion.

Once it knows what it is doing, you'll be fine.

Bob's (rwh) post is very good, btw.

neil

New
  1. Get an 8-iron.
  2. Make a divot.
  6. Make a right arm only swing, fairly slowly, trying to hit the front edge of the divot.
  7. Repeat.

Essentially, what you are doing here, is training your right arm to make a correct motion.

Is that for a"Hitter"?

JRJ

New
Hitter Swinger

Could someone please give me the executive summary on characteristics of hitters vs. swingers? Thanks.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Great Question!

I am "publishing" my new theory on the WAYS to get the club from the top to the ball.

It will be revolutionary. It is so simple, folks will try to figure out why no one ever thought of it. If they did think of it, they'll wonder why they didn't explain it as I did.

Same as the MATRIX.

Both will be previewed in the upcoming "Friends" video.

This video will preview many of the upcoming detailed video additions and updates to the current Manzella Video Library.

So....if you could...please wait a week or so, once the video is out, the discussions of it will be endless.

Hitting/Swinging

Could someone please give me the executive summary on characteristics of hitters vs. swingers? Thanks.

I saved this from Brian from a few years ago. He may have a different take now.

Simplified difference

Hitting: The clubface stay square feeling, the right arm and feet halt the shortish backswing, the feet and right arm and hips and right shoulder ALL start 'out to right field' (or straight at the ball from the top). Once the pivot gets the downstroke going, the right pushes the club through with no face rotation as it pushes against the right shoulder.

Swinging: The clubface and left hand open on the backswing and the right forefinger feels like it halts the full backswing. The left hand and arm being FLUNG by the unwinding pivot start toward the ball as if to karate chop the impact area STILL open. The sweetspot of the club automatically rolls the clubface back to square.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ignorance is curable.

I saved this from Brian from a few years ago. He may have a different take now.

Simplified difference

Hitting: The clubface stay square feeling, the right arm and feet halt the shortish backswing, the feet and right arm and hips and right shoulder ALL start 'out to right field' (or straight at the ball from the top). Once the pivot gets the downstroke going, the right pushes the club through with no face rotation as it pushes against the right shoulder.

Swinging: The clubface and left hand open on the backswing and the right forefinger feels like it halts the full backswing. The left hand and arm being FLUNG by the unwinding pivot start toward the ball as if to karate chop the impact area STILL open. The sweetspot of the club automatically rolls the clubface back to square.

Now that I know better, I really dislike that explanation.

My new one will be much easier to understand—and implement than that one.

Brian..the more I work with obtaining the right mixture of up and around I have noticed my trajectory has lessened. After watching your 8 episodes, I understand that I had too much vertical (thick divots). What relationship is there between optimum trajectory and this balance of up and around? I have no trouble with the driver and trajectory.

Thanks to you, overall in the past few weeks my ball striking has become MUCH more consistent.
I am very interested in getting a lesson with you..I grew up in Madison Indiana and frequent the
area quite often.

Thanks!

Last edited:
  1. Get an 8-iron.
  2. Make a divot.
  7. Repeat.

Thanks Brian and rtw!...the drills confirmed I was a bit flat..needed just a bit more up..the pivot seems ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.