Utley's bunker technique

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you think of Stan Utley's Bunker technique that he demonstrated at the Summit? A couple of guys there that I asked about it thought it was very good. One top 100 Teacher said that was what he taught, and wanted his teachers to teach.

I did ask one G.S.E.D. what he thought of it, and he just shook his head and grimaced slightly.

I think many TGMers would go along with his putting, chipping, and pitching procedures as viable and useful approaches, but I'm not sure about the bunker technique. It involves a very bent over setup, and intentional throwaway. He did demonstrate it very nicely.
It obviously is Another Way, and can work.

Stan stayed around for quite a while after he spoke, answering questions during a break. He seems like a good fellow.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The shots Utley hit--a SIMPLE 20ft bunker shot...INTO the W-I-N-D!!!...released like a severely buried lie shot and didn't get that close.

A REAL good bunker player would have stoped every one of 'em stone dead and close too!

Utley bunker shot=JUNK!

and goofy too.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
this is one thing i'd listen to brian about....he told me when i saw him that "sand play" was his speciality and with the amount of shots he hit out of the bunker with all the different techniques was really amazing.

I couldn't find a lie he couldn't get out of, i even plugged a ball further than what would normally plug and he still got it out.

According to the P.G.A. Tour Stats... Dan Forsman is #1 in Sand Saves... others of note-- #7 H. Kuehne #11 N. Price #13 C. Pavin #15 P. Mickelson #18 J. Haas #39 T. Woods

Who do you like for bunker technique?

Player has many different shots, depending upon the lie. His standard shot, I believe, is the common method that involves opening the face and aiming the body left.

Player practiced a lot out of bunkers. He would not leave until he holed out.

I've noticed that many good bunker players get the face very open, or toe down, at the TOP. Many look to be in a double cocked position of the left wrist. Do you think this is necessary or important, or just a variation?

Status
Not open for further replies.