Vegas baby, Vegas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lia41985

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WaOuKsK5vRg" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Pretty dang good start. He seems to want it which is good.

Good for him and his family.

Can't see vid on my phone but a good powerful swing he has. Nothing weird that stands out.

A lot of talent there, fun to watch. I just hope he keeps that Venezuelan flag in his pocket next time he wins.

yup, this kid can go far. strong but very supple body.

and his caddy's non-stop yapping makes vegas looks even more collected.:)

I was paired with Vegas in the first round of the 07 Texas State Amateur. He'd just finished his senior year at UT and I think he was also just coming off an individual top-10 in the NCAA's. I was one of the older players in the field and at the time didn't know who he was.

We were playing a course that (if I remember correctly) had par-5's that measured like between 540 and 600. I think he hit (or was over) everyone of them in 2. Seems like he hit a hybrid for his 2nd shot on the 600 yarder over the back.

As a buddy of mine who was caddying for me said later .... "walking off that first tee, Vegas looked like a linebacker carrying a set of "US Kids Golf" clubs on his back".

Perhaps my only claim to fame is that I stayed within a stroke or two of him. It was pretty obvious he was going on to bigger and better things.

I was paired with Vegas in the first round of the 07 Texas State Amateur. He'd just finished his senior year at UT and I think he was also just coming off an individual top-10 in the NCAA's. I was one of the older players in the field and at the time didn't know who he was.

We were playing a course that (if I remember correctly) had par-5's that measured like between 540 and 600. I think he hit (or was over) everyone of them in 2. Seems like he hit a hybrid for his 2nd shot on the 600 yarder over the back.

As a buddy of mine who was caddying for me said later .... "walking off that first tee, Vegas looked like a linebacker carrying a set of "US Kids Golf" clubs on his back".

Perhaps my only claim to fame is that I stayed within a stroke or two of him. It was pretty obvious he was going on to bigger and better things.

I love hearing these stories. Thanks for sharing.

lia41985

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HFHWyA22okc" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2aJ4BF3LDZI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

great swing. If his pivot were to control his swing (arms)a little better he would not have timming issues like he did at the hope...

Agree with the fire in the belly... The up and down from the water was shocking!

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
great swing. If his pivot were to control his swing (arms)a little better he would not have timming issues like he did at the hope...

Agree with the fire in the belly... The up and down from the water was shocking!

You sound pretty sure about this. Care to share a little more about why you think his pivot is not controlling his arms well enough and what that actually means?

His arms start the backswing, not his pivot. Becuase of that he lacks a little depth in the backswing and his arms get behind his hips at the top along with his arms continue to run on. He then is stuck slightly, especially with the driver. Now that he is stuck he has to stall to let the arms catch up and then has to aggresively squares the face with the hands. You can see the differnece between his controled iron shots and the driver in the video above. In fact there is some highlight video during the hope where he hit 3/4 shots and his swing is in perfect synch with passive hands.

Dont get me wrong I think he has a great swing and more importantly he has the X factor of getting the ball in the hole when it looks as though he is going to lose a shot.. Great player and I expect some great things out of this guy. Possibly several Majors.....

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
His arms start the backswing, not his pivot. Becuase of that he lacks a little depth in the backswing and his arms get behind his hips at the top along with his arms continue to run on. He then is stuck slightly, especially with the driver. Now that he is stuck he has to stall to let the arms catch up and then has to aggresively squares the face with the hands. You can see the differnece between his controled iron shots and the driver in the video above. In fact there is some highlight video during the hope where he hit 3/4 shots and his swing is in perfect synch with passive hands.

Dont get me wrong I think he has a great swing and more importantly he has the X factor of getting the ball in the hole when it looks as though he is going to lose a shot.. Great player and I expect some great things out of this guy. Possibly several Majors.....

I understand this type of analysis but not sure I see it with this guy but havent really looked too much. has nice lead arm control and seems to turn the shaft out on top of the ball nicely.

natep

New
I heard the exact same thing in an analysis of his swing by Dan Whittiker. Dan W. uses all the same words that Geoff Jones uses, arms "in sync", etc.

It seems to me that they dont believe in kinetic sequencing. They dont believe the body segments slow down sequentially, they recommend that the pivot keeps going left at a constant speed. Anyone whose hips slow down and snaps the kinetic chain they label "stall and flippers".

I'd like to see some data from someone who swings like this. All the data I've been able to find supports a kinetic sequencing.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I heard the exact same thing in an analysis of his swing by Dan Whittiker. Dan W. uses all the same words that Geoff Jones uses, arms "in sync", etc.

It seems to me that they dont believe in kinetic sequencing. They dont believe the body segments slow down sequentially, they recommend that the pivot keeps going left at a constant speed. Anyone whose hips slow down and snaps the kinetic chain they label "stall and flippers".

I'd like to see some data from someone who swings like this. All the data I've been able to find supports a kinetic sequencing.

I dont see any flip or unnecessary face squaring in his swing. Nobody who is any good, in my opinion, pivots to the end of their swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.