Video camera with a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased my first camcorder, a Panasonic PV-GS80 model. My computer is a Mac. I can view my swings at full speed on the Mac, but, as far as I can tell, I can't do frame-by-frame or slow motion with it.
Is there a way to do swing analysis with a Mac? V1, C-swing, etc. can't be used with it.
I've heard that the new Leopard operating system enables one to use Windows-based programs, but wouldn't using Windows expose me to viruses that I don't have to worry about with a Mac?

How do you get around this problem? Brian, you're a Mac guy aren't you?

Thanks,

gumper

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Richard (gumper),

If you import the video into iMovie, you can frame-by-frame forward or backward.

No current programs for "line drawing" will work as of yet.

bbftx

New
Gumper, Brian
You can import your video into iMovie, edit, and export as a Quick Time movie. QuickTime will let you do frame by frame viewing.

If you want to draw lines on video, you can use the Keynote presentation software. Drag the video file into a Keynote slide, draw lines to your heart's content on top of the video image, and you can play, pause, rewind video as you like. You can also save the "presentation" as a video and again, use QuickTime to go frame by frame with the "lined" version. It's not true "swing analysis software," but the lines can be positioned anywhere you'd like, at different angles, colors, etc.

vandal

New
If you really need the Windoze-based software and are using an Intel Mac, you can use Bootcamp to fire up Windoze and work with it.

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Just purchased my first camcorder, a Panasonic PV-GS80 model. My computer is a Mac. I can view my swings at full speed on the Mac, but, as far as I can tell, I can't do frame-by-frame or slow motion with it.
Is there a way to do swing analysis with a Mac? V1, C-swing, etc. can't be used with it.
I've heard that the new Leopard operating system enables one to use Windows-based programs, but wouldn't using Windows expose me to viruses that I don't have to worry about with a Mac?

How do you get around this problem? Brian, you're a Mac guy aren't you?

Thanks,

gumper

rich, you can use the v1 only if you run microsoft windows on your mac with the boot camp program that comes with leopard -- then you can run the mac programs and window programs at the same time with Parallel -- a small # of golf pros did this to get their V1 on the their mac - I am thinking about doing it although I am not much of a line drawer

Thanks gentlemen. I wish that I could simply click on iMovie and go frame-by-frame, but I only see 3 "buttons:" a rewind button, a "play" button, and a "view with full screen" button.

Am I not getting to the proper screen? I'd be happy to do without the lines if I could just watch my swing frame-by-frame.

I tried the Quicktime suggestion, but I'm still hoping for a one-step process. I'm a klutz at this stuff, so I'm probably doing something wrong.

gumper

bbftx

New
Thanks gentlemen. I wish that I could simply click on iMovie and go frame-by-frame, but I only see 3 "buttons:" a rewind button, a "play" button, and a "view with full screen" button.

Am I not getting to the proper screen? I'd be happy to do without the lines if I could just watch my swing frame-by-frame.

gumper

Gumper,
In iMovie, you can go frame by frame, backwards and forwards, by using the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard.

To echo what bbftx said:

In iMovie or Quicktime, click on the video with your mouse (this may or may not pause or start the video, I can't remember). You can then use (1) Left and right to advance frame-by-frame and (2) Spacebar or Enter to pause or play (if the video is over, these keys will start it again).

1-b

Banned
your apple is as cool as bob marley smoking a tremendous amount of weed !!!!!!!!!!!

GUMPER,
import your video into Imovie.
then drag and drop your video clips from Imovie into Keynote and you can draw lines.
you can import clips from Keynote with "lines" back into to Imovie. just drag and drop.
you can do still frame in Imovie to see "before and after".
you can do voice over in Imovie.
you can drag photos from the "internets" and put them into Iphoto,
and then take photos from Iphoto and put them into Imovie . then you can share ALL info from Imovie to Idvd and then burn a dvd . you'll love your mac !!!:cool:
think different ! buffalo soldier , dreadlock rasta !!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. For some reason, using the arrows on the keyboard worked today, whereas it did not work previously. I don't think that I did anything differently, but obviously I must have.

By the way, my Mac does not have Keynote, but I'm fine just using the arrows.

gumper

If you really need the Windoze-based software and are using an Intel Mac, you can use Bootcamp to fire up Windoze and work with it.

If you don't want to reboot your Mac every time you need to use Windows, you can also install one of the following packages, which will allow you to run Windows while you're running OSX (via x86 virtualization). Note: you'll likely need a minimum of 2GB RAM to run Windows and OSX side by side.

1) Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0, http://www.parallels.com
2) Vmware Fusion, http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/
3) VirtualBox, http://www.virtualbox.org/

The first two cost around $80 (maybe less depending on rebates) and the third one is open source and free for home use.

I have not used VirtualBox yet but I have direct experience with Parallels and VMware. Both are solid products but I would give the nod to VMware if you're buying now.

Status
Not open for further replies.