VJ wins $10Million!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRJ

New
PGA Tour doesn't want to talk about it but VJ just won $10 Million. The FedEx Cup has been flawed from the start and now they've got a PR nightmare on their hands. Padraig (just won 2 majors) Harrington not-invited to the TOUR championship. Can't wait to watch Briny Baird and Ken Duke battle at East Lake. What a disaster!

dbl

New
Well they mentioend Singh winning the Fed up Cup (if he tees it up at the Tour Ch.) on the 4th round telecast of the BMW.

And here's the main writeup at pgatour.com about going to East Lake, and note the "final note":

Final note on seeding: Vijay Singh has wrapped up the FedExCup with an insurmountable 10,601-point lead over Camilo Villegas. If Singh had been the eighth seed instead of seventh, Villegas would still be alive for the Cup.

PGATOUR.COM - Players who played their way into, and out of, East Lake

Fed ex cup "volatility" backfired this year, even without Tiger. The whole playoff idea is a joke as long as they start the playoffs with 144 people. Isn't the exemption cutoff only the top 125 on the money list? How is it that you can miss that cutoff but still make the playoffs. That would be like letting every team in the league into the nfl playoffs and then inviting a couple of arena league teams in also.

They changed how they give the money out this year too. VJ will get 9 million up front and 1 million in his retirement account. He should skip the last event just to drive home how dumb the fed ex cup is to the pga tour.

The idea was to encourage better players to suit up later in the season, and to draw in more television viewers.

I hope Vijay goes on another run like he did a few years ago...

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Anyone ever take a "Change MGT" course?

This whole FedEx problem revolves around Q x A = I

Q = quality of your answer
A = acceptance of the answer
I = Impact of the change

PGA are so focussed on the Q that the A is lacking and the over I is waaaaaaaaaaay low. They should make the Q "simple", like a normal playoff system and then the acceptance of the tour players and the public would go up and you'd have more overall impact on the change you are trying to achieve (better ratings and a more exciting finish to the PGA season

has 2 play

VJ has to play 4 rounds

not get dq

sign his scorecard

thats all......

if camillo wins next week..............and vj finishes last

vj gets 2000 points for last place..

and he wins the fed-ex by i believe 101 points

last place next week is 287,000 dollars....

hjack

I'd love to see these guys somehow play match play for 10 million. Prolly not feasible, but it sounds good on paper!

Chris Sturgess

They could still start with 144 guys but guys but then narrow it down much more drastically as the weeks go on and make the year's status matter more. Guys ranked above 125 should have to win the first playoff tournament or they're out, guys ranked between about 64 and 125 should have to finish in the top 5 or they're out. And the field should be narrowed down to 64 for the second week. Then 36, then 16 for the last week. And people like Padraig or anyone else in the top 10 for the season should basically have to miss the cut every week in the playoffs to not make an appearance in the final week. It would still be weird when Vijay or some top guy wins the first two or two out of three weeks and has it already won before the final week but that's just the way it goes in the golf version of playoffs I guess.

All I know is they gotta somehow make this thing so it is exciting at the VERY end.........ideally with a big $10 mil. duel. (of course)

Maybe they should have the reg. season determine who gets in........then just start eliminating guys like a real PLAYOFF? Keep cutting the field in half till you get to the last 2 guys? Or maybe switch the format to match play at some point?

Maybe they can really amp up the value of the points all the way till the end?

All I know is it is very anticlimactic to give away $10 before the end.

They know this too of course.

I don't even know exactly how it's setup right now with the points system but they have to cater everything to producing The $10 Mil Duel, no doubt.

I would guess they are concerned with being fair? (not wanting to cut a guy because he has one bad showing?) I don't know. It's something to think about but.....

$10 MIL duel!

Last edited:
Tournament golf is gay. I would rather see a money game where the players put up their own cash, and dual it out like cowboys. Money would be exchanged on every hole to make it exciting... Maybe they would even bet on how many strokes they would finish on each hole.... Dammit $10,000 says that I'll birdie this hole... That would be so much fun to watch.

Chris Sturgess

That would be a good off season fall event. Especially since the Skins Game has become boring and a lot of players on tour love to gamble.

Last edited:

Chris Sturgess

All I know is they gotta somehow make this thing so it is exciting at the VERY end.........ideally with a big $10 mil. duel. (of course)

Maybe they should have the reg. season determine who gets in........then just start eliminating guys like a real PLAYOFF? Keep cutting the field in half till you get to the last 2 guys? Or maybe switch the format to match play at some point?

Maybe they can really amp up the value of the points all the way till the end?

All I know is it is very anticlimactic to give away $10 before the end.

They know this too of course.

I don't even know exactly how it's setup right now with the points system but they have to cater everything to producing The $10 Mil Duel, no doubt.

I would guess they are concerned with being fair? (not wanting to cut a guy because he has one bad showing?) I don't know. It's something to think about but.....

$10 MIL duel!

I like that idea too. It seems like it would be boring to watch the early rounds/tournaments then but I think that is worth it for the big finish. They could set it up so only making "the cut" matters after each tournament. And if you don't make it then you are eliminated. And the winner of the early tournaments only get 500 grand or something but the players would still play in these tournaments for a chance at the 10 million at the end.

The only problem with that is how do you give the higher seeds an advantage. You could give them strokes but that seems really weird and depressing (Tiger Woods getting a bunch of strokes....).

I guess they could just say that the higher ranked players can't get cut the first week and then only have to finish in the top 100 for the first two roundsthe second week and then the top 25, etc. until it's just 2 guys or maybe 4 guys. But the lesser players would have much higher standards that they need to make to stay alive, like winning the first tournament if you're worse than 125 ranked or get a top ten in the first tournament if you're ranked between 75 and 125. Etc.

This actually seems like a really great idea we've got here. It's fair and it would be so much better for it to dwindle down to just a few guys at the end playing for the 10 milllion. It would be like a major.

Last edited:
Tournament golf is gay. I would rather see a money game where the players put up their own cash, and dual it out like cowboys. Money would be exchanged on every hole to make it exciting... Maybe they would even bet on how many strokes they would finish on each hole.... Dammit $10,000 says that I'll birdie this hole... That would be so much fun to watch.

man...you ever played tournament golf? that $h!t gets rough on the old coconut.

Chris Sturgess

Haha, I like that line.

I think self mastery thinks that the 10 million they are playing for is Monopoly money. And no, I don't think he's played much or any real tournament golf. He's can hit his 4 iron a long way though......haha.

Not to get all self-mastery on you guys, but have you seen the LPGA event where they cut the field every day until the final round where it's basically 18 holes for about $2 million? Now THAT'S an idea that could work for the men.

Status
Not open for further replies.