Wedding Ring up Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've finally got this into my head, but need some verification and a few questions.

1. I can only get this to happen if I curl the last 3 fingers of my left hand under as I am swinging the club from the top of my backswing along the angle of approach. Is that correct or did what I right make sense?

2. I have to make a Manzella recommended backswing pivot around my spine or it is pull city.

3. I have to make a full forward pivot, or its pull and or pull hook city.

4. I can only hit short pitches if I do this with a closed stance line.

5. My left elbow on the outside is sore. I'm right handed.

6. Compression and distance are impressive, but I've only done this with a wedge so far. Spin into the green are also impressive.

So, does any of that make sense?

Am I doing anything wrong to make my elbow hurt?

Anything else "you wedding ring up types" can think of that I should do or try next?

Thanks

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Wolfman said:
I think I've finally got this into my head, but need some verification and a few questions.

1. I can only get this to happen if I curl the last 3 fingers of my left hand under as I am swinging the club from the top of my backswing along the angle of approach. Is that correct or did what I right make sense?

Not really. Just remember this:

The more neutral your grip, the flatter your left wrist, and the more foward lean you have the easier it will be to perform "wedding ring up." The less you have of those three the harder it will be.

2. I have to make a Manzella recommended backswing pivot around my spine or it is pull city.

It's not that you have you use his backswing, it's that you have to tilt your axis and get that right shoulder downplane to the ball. something you're not used too.

3. I have to make a full forward pivot, or its pull and or pull hook city.

See Above

4. I can only hit short pitches if I do this with a closed stance line.

Probably not tilting your axis on short pitches. Still have to have a little hip bump and get that shoulder downplane. Practicing pitches this way (correctly) is probably the fastest way to 'do it right' in your full swing.

5. My left elbow on the outside is sore. I'm right handed.

It shouldn't hurt. you may be over-doing it or....are you hitting off of matts?

6. Compression and distance are impressive, but I've only done this with a wedge so far. Spin into the green are also impressive.

More foward lean, more lag, less leakage....will do all the above.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Jimmy, your hired!

Good job.

As for the Wedding Ring Up POSITION:

It IS very easy to do if you hit it with a slightly arched wrist and have axis tilt.

is there an initial thread stating and telling what this wedding ring up is? i've heard it mentioned several times but what exactly is it telling you to do or the benefits? thanks

Wedding ring up

Got the Manzella Neutral and visually flat wrist going. Working really hard on the axis tilt.

FORWARD LEAN:
1. Is it leaning towards the target line?
2. More bend forward from/at the hips?
3. How do you know how much to lean forward? Would that be measuring "like Brian" in "Do it Right" where he measures with his hand from the butt of the club to his belt buckle?

I found out tonight that if I tilt and bump, my short pitches are going too far. (a problem I know some would love to have!) One of the reasons I got to a 9 was because I know/knew how far I could pitch the ball with each club by how far in the backswing I took the club. Now, its a club longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.