Weight Shift as it relates to Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So hear is what I am wondering...we all know that the majority of our weight should shift to the right side during the backswing and to the left side during the downswing. What I'm hoping to understand is what this action means to the rotation of the body (both the degree of rotation and direction) when done correctly and when done improperly (leaving weight on the left side). My theory (and question to this forum) is that when the weight is properly shifted to the right side the left hip is able to rotate freely, to a greater degree and toward the right instep. When the weight shifts back to left side the hands are able to come from the inside and the right hip is then able to rotate freely and powerfully. My conclusion on this matter stems from my analysis of the opposite (improper) action. When weight stays on the left side during the backswing the right hip moves too freely back and allows the arms and hands to come too far to the inside. When the downswing is initiated and the weight falls back to the right side the left hip is the freed up, so that it spins out and forces the arms and hands out over the top.

Basically, the hip (side) that gets the most freedom of motion is the opposite of the side where the weight is located.

I hope this was a clear explanation and I would really like some professional feedback. Thanks

I'd say that the notion that the right hip moves powerfully in the downswing would prevent most golfers from achieving their potential.

Search for posts by Art on what the right hip should do.

Golfie

lia41985

Hope this helps:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VJ3lcKeNjCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

S

SteveT

Not a professional full golfswing explanation but a scientific study on balance can be found if you google this title for a .pdf document:

THE GOLF SWING: AN EXPLORATION OF BALANCE AND SKILL
Jeffrey D. Spence, M. Alan Caldwell, & Jackie L. Hudson

It may be enlightening, but it may not fully address your questions. Hope it helps somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.