What changes from a 6 to 5 iron....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using more of a NHA pattern. From 6 to LW, I am so dialed in. I really feel the club is swinging like a club.

From 5 to 3w, I can't hit a lick. Driver is OK but a little inconsistent.

What might I be looking for?

When i change to the 5 and higher, shots magically lack compression and height. I lose the feel of the weight of the club (going back to the top) and the ability to crack the whip. The ball is going low and pushing right.

The 5 is only marginally longer than the 6. Is the loft change part of the problem?

Bill,
If I remember right, Brian answered this one a while back....
The answer was "clubhead speed".......or lack of...

Surely there is more to it than that....

Surely! I can get a decent speed out of the club head. The hit is not the same. My 6 iron is 170ish. When I do connect well with the 5 it is 180ish (sometimes a litte more but I play it 180). Something changes in the feel of the club.

perhaps swingweight?
perhaps the loft of your 5 iron is actually a 4 iron or 3 iron?
perhaps different shaft flexes in your long irons?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Axis tilt, try to swing A LITTLE more right.

As the loft decreases you need to add a lot more axis tilt to shallow out the angle of attack. Since the NHA pattern is inherently steep, this doesn't work well with long irons or woods UNLESS you create some tilt.

take a look at some face on of David Toms, for such a "swing lefter" he sure can create the axis tilt in the downswing with the long clubs. HA, i even remember when he was contending for a tournament earlier this year that Kostis said it was a power leak

Dariusz J.

Axis tilt, try to swing A LITTLE more right.

As the loft decreases you need to add a lot more axis tilt to shallow out the angle of attack. Since the NHA pattern is inherently steep, this doesn't work well with long irons or woods UNLESS you create some tilt.

take a look at some face on of David Toms, for such a "swing lefter" he sure can create the axis tilt in the downswing with the long clubs. HA, i even remember when he was contending for a tournament earlier this year that Kostis said it was a power leak

Jim, this is a really crucial thing to have more axis tilt the longer the club is, especially with "swinging left" concept. Just curious - what is the best and simplest to follow way, in your opinion, to control the amount of axis tilt depending on the length of the club (driver included) ? To monitor the CoG shift ? Or to preset the correct amount of the axis tilt at set-up ?

Cheers

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
ideally its something that is kinda ingrained through practice but the more you setup with at the setup the easier you will be able to create more secondary tilt through the ball. However this is a doulble edged blade for recovering hookers because the more you tilt through the ball the more the path moves inside out automatically and they just have to be careful.

Also bill, I went through a stage where I used the NHA pattern and the main thing is that you need a bit more "drop" before you "go left." this should help.

Update....I'm fixed...

changed a little bit on my set up (thanks to video I taped during my lesson with Brian) and more importantly....my hands were getting too far out at impact. Focused on keeping the hands behind the belt buckle and magic happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.