What do I do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Matt - thanks for the clarification. I think I understand now. I've had some success in the past hitting driver, working on holding back the right shoulder in transition. I feel like that does help me get into that "squatty" transition. To be honest, I never really persevered with it because I felt, without really testing it, that it wasn't going to translate to hitting the ball well off the deck. I'll give that another try now though.

@Slash - That was a 5 iron, which I guess I would normally hit 165 - 175yds. I'm not a long hitter, but equally I wouldn't say that a lack of distance is holding me back at the level I play. I'm not really worried what it looks like - but I don't like being locked into a hard draw ballflight. I'm not talking about banking a ball into a pin, I'm talking about having to aim off right to allow the ball to work into, and then run across, the green. And fat wedges burn me up! I really feel that if I can adjust to a more neutral path through the ball and hit a straighter ball, then clubface control will be a lot more intuitive. I'd like to get to where I feel that I could aim and start the ball left and see it come back. Right now, a ball starting left is just a snap hook in the making. I think ballstriking with my irons will improve too - fewer fat wedges and an easier downwards AoA on long irons.

@drewyallop - thanks man, good point. More knee bend, butt out means more spine tilt to stay in balance.

@littleacorns - thanks for the drill. I can see how it works on the backswing to shift weight back. What about the forward swing. I'll be hitting off the back foot. Is that part of the cure? Do you think I've got too much weight forward going through the ball?

One drill that I always found amazing, but that I'm now thinking I totally misinterpreted, is the one where you step back left foot beside right foot on the backswing and then start the downswing by replacing the left foot in its normal forward position. I always thought this was something to do with weight transfer forward on the way down. Now I'm beginning to think that it was the weight shift back that was maybe working for me.

You may try pointing your knees in !
Works wonders for my turn to stay more level and keeps me down and not raising up.
Stand in a mirror and try it. You will be surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.