What has happened to American golf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To say that American golf is declining, I think we'd have to show that there are fewer good/great players being produced in this country. I don't think there is evidence of this. On the contrary, I think we have more good players than ever in this country. But we no longer have a monopoly of good players because the game has become so global. I don't think Tiger made the "game" global; his brand has certainly grown around the world, but the game has been going in that direction for at least 25 years. It's a numbers game really. The US has what, 4% of the worlds population? Do the math. It was a matter of time. I guess it's how the Canadians felt when Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup...a few names come to mind: Tony Jacklin and Seve Ballesteros, and John Jacobs in a way. After Europe began to rival the US, the rest of the world seemed to follow.

Oh PLEASE, Formula 1?? Racing by computer??? When these cars even touch one another the whining and crying is intolerable. NASCAR drivers race, Formula 1 drivers run laps.

C'mon NASCAR is bumper cars for oversponsored rednecks! Jeff Gordon is no Alain Prost, Schmacher, or the late great Ayrton Senna. All in jest, of course (as in a course with checanes and hairpins!):rolleyes:

btp

New
I don't think many athletes play golf. Take a look at a high school baseball team and then compare it to the golf team picture. The kids are huge, strong and athletic.

If the athletic kids start young enough, I think they would dominate. Too many kids play golf because they are no good at other activities.

State teams work. The best kids get together and push each other. National teams would be very expensive.

The PGA program doesn't teach you how to teach golf. The LPGA program is actually better. The best kids need the best teachers to reach their potential.

Great post by David Wurzer! I couldn't agree more with your post! Other countries are doing it right. Some countries sowed seeds years ago and now they are reaping the rewards. Adapt or perish!

Status
Not open for further replies.