What is the deal with...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

natep

New
Im looking for it now. I've come across several reviews of the dvd and they all say it's excellent.

just want to make 2 observations, nothing scientific necessarily.

1. 2 people of similar height, say 6.2. one guy has a shoulder span of say, 2 feet. the other guy, 3 feet.

if they are going to have a stance width that corresponds to their shoulder width, one will stand 2 feet apart, the other one 3 feet apart.

so this saying to stand apart about shoulder width probably needs to be interpreted a bit loosely, particularly if the above 2 gents have similar swings. i would think the similar swing, on a base that is one foot different in length, may produce vastly different outcome.

2. everyone has a difference sense and level of balance, esp dynamically. if a "natural" stance produces an acceptable swing, i say leave it to be, at 2 feet or 3 feet, whatever the case may be.

I would tend to agree with this. I always thought it was a little more useful to think of stance width in terms of hip width. However, for me shoulders provide a pretty useful point of reference as well. I just know that I have always experienced a lot of foot roll into the finish, to the point that my ankle can get sore after playing a lot of golf. This leads me to believe that my stance is a bit too narrow. Of course, I could have other problems (pivot, etc.) that lead to this as well.

I would tend to agree with this. I always thought it was a little more useful to think of stance width in terms of hip width. However, for me shoulders provide a pretty useful point of reference as well. I just know that I have always experienced a lot of foot roll into the finish, to the point that my ankle can get sore after playing a lot of golf. This leads me to believe that my stance is a bit too narrow. Of course, I could have other problems (pivot, etc.) that lead to this as well.

good point,,,i was going to get into that in a fictitious way.

in the so called modern swing, people post onto the left side/leg. another way to look at that is that for a narrower stance, there is less distance to travel to post; wider stance, more distance to cover.

i am not saying which is better or fits someone better out of thin air, but those 2 are different. depending on how one manages the hip "turn"--some turn with little bump,,,other turn with larger bump--this stance width is a dependent factor because distance travel involves timing and timing affects path and how the clubface comes into the ball,,,.

for instance; when i notice that my kids have an outside in tendency, a little wider stance can make that disappear. similarly, when they hit too inside out, a narrower stance can fix that. i tend to believe that our upper body constantly react to the lower body signals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.