what motors the downswing pivot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I've posted on the right leg in the back swing and I'm in a good position. I shift over to the left leg. Now, what is powering the pivot?

Also, with the club about 9 o'clock in the follow-through, where should the hands be?

"I shift over to the left leg." by putting pressure into the ground through the left foot, "Now, what is powering the pivot"? It's coasting and or slowing down, waiting for the momentum of the arms, club unit to catch up and pull it the rest of the way to the finish.

Matt

Here lies my problem....

Regarding sideyard's comment....
I get the pressure on the left foot but, that in itself doesn't seem to be the motor behind the pivot. I can post up on the right, fall to the left and feel that pressure but that doesn't cause anything to turn for me.

Re: Puttmad - more of what I'm looking for but...trying to feel the right back contracting seems contradictory to the "feet pulls the knees pulls the hips pulls the torso, etc..." that I am trying to ingrain from my lessons with Bman. So you are saying...once I fall to the left foot, I should feel the motor for the downswing in the right back muscle? Nothing on the left side is driving the turn towards to target?

I was watching a video of my swing during a lesson with Brian...which looked very good and had good results. I put a video of my current swing side by side (in V1) and I noticed that on the downswing, my right butt cheek is very viewable (downline) before impact..also....the right heel is coming up well before impact. In the Bman lesson swing, that right butt cheek doesn't really come into view until after impact and the right heel is still almost on the ground. I am having trouble finding and keeping this action.

Last edited:
Bill,

The right side compression (between hips and shoulders) is an action..
Muscles only work one way , i.e. they contract and relax, therefore once a muscle has contracted (left side on the backswing) all it can do for the opposite effect is relax, which generates no power at all, apart from letting the opposite muscle (the right side) take over...

So yes, nothing on the left side is generating the turn towards the target, it is ALLOWING it (the right hip to transverse around the left hip once the left side is posted)....

Re "from the ground up, feet and knees"...at this stage (weight on the left side) you have already included that....

Ref right heel coming up before impact...well there are two schools of thouhgt on that one, but the only working difference should be that in one you lift (the heel) and in the other, you roll (invert) the whole foot...the weight shift should be the same for both......you may find, in your case, that you are bending the right knee too much, which is forcing the left heel to come up in order to maintain your swing center height

Last edited:
Bill,

From your description of the swings you made during your lesson with Brian and the current swings, and the other thread, your hips are backing up now, on the downswing. It sounds like your whole right side is now taking the club to high into impact. You need the right side/arm/club under more coming into the ball, more of an underhand pitch motion feel to and through the ball. And you will need the left hip more forward(towards the target) to aid the underhand pitch motion feel.

Matt

Bill,

From your description of the swings you made during your lesson with Brian and the current swings, and the other thread, your hips are backing up now, on the downswing. It sounds like your whole right side is now taking the club to high into impact. You need the right side/arm/club under more coming into the ball, more of an underhand pitch motion feel to and through the ball. And you will need the left hip more forward(towards the target) to aid the underhand pitch motion feel.

Matt

how much is too much slide?

Too much slide might make it easier to hit behind the ball, might get you below plane, could force a flip to square up the face. And if your neck bone goes with the excessive hip slide, look out, fore!! left or right. I'm sure there are more things too.

Matt

Too much slide might make it easier to hit behind the ball, might get you below plane, could force a flip to square up the face. And if your neck bone goes with the excessive hip slide, look out, fore!! left or right. I'm sure there are more things too.

Matt

so how much is too much? :D

For my swing, been fighting an under plane downswing for a long time my new feeling is MUCH less hipslide than I ever had before.

I also remember reading or hearing something about a milk crate drill Brian described a while back.

Matt

so how much is too much? :D

If your outside left hipbone gets too far ahead of your left foot before you make the final turning pivot

Try balancing on your left leg while in an "address" position and raising the right foot right off the deck.....the farther your left hipbone is on top of, or even forward of, your left foot, the slower you will fall over....:D

If your outside left hipbone gets too far ahead of your left foot before you make the final turning pivot

Try balancing on your left leg while in an "address" position and raising the right foot right off the deck.....the farther your left hipbone is on top of, or even forward of, your left foot, the slower you will fall over....:D

but I thought you should have as much tilt as you can and have your tail bone far out.....head stays behind.... I mean that wouldn't work with the drill that u just told me..?

jen,
What I meant was, if your left hip is not far enough over your left foot you will fall over (backwards) faster.....(if your left hip is over your left foot then your tailbone must (if your swing center has remained stable) be pointing left as well....

And yes it would be the tilted "impact" position...

Obviously the slower you fall over backwards, the more "balanced" you are over your left side......obviously you don't want to be so far "forward balanced" that you "fall" towards the target at the finish of the pivot...

Status
Not open for further replies.